Discuss Uneven voltage on legs at main panel - troubleshooting? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JoeMX82

DIY
Reaction score
I have two main panels each 150amp breaker. House was built in 83 and lived here for 6 years no issues. About 6 months ago we had a power surge and our main ac fail (hard short) and tripped the breaker. Had the unit replaced but it seems since then we have had issues with lights diming and electronics where you can hear them surging. I decided to do some testing and when I put my volt meter on the incoming mains I get some decent flucations. With nothing on in the house the range is like 115 on one side to 125 +|- 3 or so volts. But when we turn on a microwave for example it goes to 105 and 135. Assuming that is not normal?? No obvious signs of damage in the panel and I had the power company come look at the meter but they came when I wasn’t home and told my wife everything was normal - who knows. Any advice on what to do next?

I have two main panels each 150amp breaker. House was built in 83 and lived here for 6 years no issues. About 6 months ago we had a power surge and our main ac fail (hard short) and tripped the breaker. Had the unit replaced but it seems since then we have had issues with lights diming and electronics where you can hear them surging. I decided to do some testing and when I put my volt meter on the incoming mains I get some decent flucations. With nothing on in the house the range is like 115 on one side to 125 +|- 3 or so volts. But when we turn on a microwave for example it goes to 105 and 135. Assuming that is not normal?? No obvious signs of damage in the panel and I had the power company come look at the meter but they came when I wasn’t home and told my wife everything was normal - who knows. Any advice on what to do next?
I’m not understanding what you mean by replacing the unit. It sounds like you have a neutral problem. If your voltage is fluctuating then you need to check your # 6 bare wire is attached to the ground rod from the panel and make sure that it is tight in the panel. Also you have to install a surge suppression device or SPD. Sorry I can’t be of much help, if you have anymore info or pictures would be very helpful.

I’m not understanding what you mean by replacing the unit. It sounds like you have a neutral problem. If your voltage is fluctuating then you need to check your # 6 bare wire is attached to the ground rod from the panel and make sure that it is tight in the panel. Also you have to install a surge suppression device or SPD. Sorry I can’t be of much help, if you have anymore info or pictures would be very helpful.

I appreciate the reply and since my original post I have had some success. It was a broken neutral between transformer and meter - poco ran a temporary fix above ground to my meter and I’m waiting on them to fix them main underground cable. For now, with the temp fix, voltage is steady on both legs. I have checked my grounding and found only one of my two rods was being use so I ran a new #4 bare copper wire and connected both rods. I will also be installing surge protectors on my panels but one panel is full so might be getting a larger panel (more spaces) to help with that.

I appreciate the reply and since my original post I have had some success. It was a broken neutral between transformer and meter - poco ran a temporary fix above ground to my meter and I’m waiting on them to fix them main underground cable. For now, with the temp fix, voltage is steady on both legs. I have checked my grounding and found only one of my two rods was being use so I ran a new #4 bare copper wire and connected both rods. I will also be installing surge protectors on my panels but one panel is full so might be getting a larger panel (more spaces) to help with that.
Depending on what type of panel you have you can buy slim line breakers for your panel and free up space for your SPD. Good luck my friend

Reply to Uneven voltage on legs at main panel - troubleshooting? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock