Discuss Unsure... FCU in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

acvc

-
Reaction score
Referring back to an old post ...... In my house the boiler FCU is beside the combi boiler in the bathroom, both about 0.5m outside zone 2. It's been there for the 16 years i've lived there. I've recently rewired the whole house, but left the FCU in the same position because of:

701.512.3. Erection of Switchgear, Controlgear and Accessories According to to External Influences. "Except for SELV sockets .... and shaver supply... socket outlets are prohibited within a distance of three metres ..... from zone 1". It doesn't refer to any other switchgear or accessories between the outside of zone 2 and the three metre limit from zone 1.

If i replace the fcu with an IP55 one it will be safer in itself (moist environment) but still capable of being opened and operated by a wet-handed/footed person, so it's not any safer in this respect. But then the boiler itself doesn't have any IP rating for its electrics, and my plumber says they are becoming more usual inside bathrooms these days. IP55 fcu but no IP for what it's controlling, both in the same place, doesn't sit easily with me.

OK so the safest thing is to remove the fcu from the bathroom altogether, no doubt about that. But what do you all think?

Many thanks.:(

You mention in your post opened and operated does that mean you need a tool of some sort to access it inwhich case it would be outside the zones as 7671 gives exemption to under the bath in those circumstances and I would have thought it would apply in your circumstances last part of 701.32.3 description of zone one.

Hope that helps

Chris

Providing the fcu [unswitched] is not likely to be subject to splashes or sprays of water ,I would be happy to leave it as it is as it serves no functional purpose to persons using the bathroom and is unlikely to be touched in normal circumstances. If it is likely to be subject to splashes or sprays of water then IPX5 would be minimum requirement......at the end of the day your descision!

spark1

It does only say "socket outlets" and not actually switches like you said, so its a tough call, but i wouldnt like to hedge my bets!!

However, it should be suitable for the location, so its your call and judgement as to whether it is.

When I say 'opened and operated' i just mean that it would be an outdoor accessory, with a flip top and sealed grommited cable entry. So it ouwld be an outdoor accessory in the bathroom.

When you say 'box it in' Adamh, do you mean put it in a IPx5 enclosure type thing, or as in build a cupboard around the boiler and fcu? The only enclosures I've looked at are quite big, and frankly over the top, so I'd rather not go down that route. A cupboard would be a possibility. Would that conform to the Regs, if its unlocked/accessible without a tool ..... ? I'll go and have a look. Thanks chaps.

Reply to Unsure... FCU in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock