Discuss Using recess k/o boxes for surface wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Was in an office the other day (recently refurbished) and noticed who ever did the new wiring used standard 35mm recess k/o back boxes
https://www.screwflix..com/p/appleb...50&gclid=CK2GpMb3iuYCFUjOGwodS7kDkQ&gclsrc=ds
on the surface and fitted stainless steel face plates to them..
I think they were trying to achieve a certain look but imo recess boxes shouldn't be used on the surface as don't really meet the IP rating.
Thoughts....?

That must look awful.
What was wrong with metalclad surface boxes if they were after an “industrial” look

It looks a right mish mash

20mm white plastic conduit into a ko box with a stainless front plate which overlaps the ko box...

It was by all accounts a polish builder who wired it all up

Sounds ugly, but I’d love to see it ...

Just for fun, I looked up some product specifications -

The Appleby flush mounted back boxes seem to be under “BS 4662:2006 Boxes for flush mounting of electrical accessories - requirements, test methods and dimensions”.

The MK metal surface box seems to be under “BS 5733:2010 General requirements for electrical accessories”.

I don’t have copies of those standards, but I’ll bet the flush mounted boxes are not tested for surface impacts. And their “folded up” design just doesn’t seem right to be surface mounted. Also, it seems pretty clear from the Standard‘s title they expected them to be flush mounted.

On the other hand, the MK metal surface box doco points out the product’s high impact protection.

After that description I'm going for incompetence over trying to achieve a look.

Offer your concerns and an inspection ?

I was there for a non electrical visit , I just have a terrible habit of ‘checking out’ the wiring if I’m in a new place.
Couldn’t help but notice the expansive use of KO boxes and got chatting to the lady on the front desk who mentioned that had just had some polish builders in refurbishing the building.

Any photos?

(of the back boxes before any smart comments :D :D)

Edit : the back boxes of the sockets. Can't be too careful on here :)

Don’t think flush boxes mounted on the surface, would meet the appropriate IP rating, would it? Thinking of the way the faceplate fixing lug is formed.

Reply to Using recess k/o boxes for surface wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock