Discuss Vintage Honeywell panel heater control? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has come across a Honeywell "Electric Comfort Control" panel, per the attached photo, and knows anything more about it. More for curiosity than anything else. This was in a house I did an EICR for earlier this week.

There are two heating 30A ring final circuits (upstairs, downstairs) which correspond to the two sides of this panel. And a 5A control circuit, which seems to send a mains voltage control signal to the panel heaters in each room. So each heater has 2 cables, the RFC connection and the control connection.

Some of the heaters are still in use, though now controlled manually, and the panel is left switched off.

A quick online search didn't seem to show anything looking like this, so wondering if something custom. Apparently neighbouring houses had the same, though now most have converted to gas. Built mid-1970's. The new owner of the property plans to convert to gas also, and don't need to get it fully working!

Attachments

• Vintage Honeywell panel heater control? Honeywell panel - EletriciansForums.net
    Honeywell panel.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 23
I've never seen one of those before, imagine back in the day this would have seemed very high tech and probably had a few scratching their heads for a little while.

These centralised controllers were in vogue for a while, with a couple of manufacturers offering similar units. The distinctive features were the two separately timed zones for bedrooms and living rooms, and the individual selector switches for each heater. They were usually able to switch between two settings on the heater, normal and set-back, rather than solidly on and off.

If anyone ever gets an opportunity to save one, preferably along with one or two heaters from the system, I've been looking for examples for the museum for many years without success. Got close a couple of times but in each case the controller got written off before it could be saved.

If anyone ever gets an opportunity to save one, preferably along with one or two heaters from the system, I've been looking for examples for the museum for many years without success. Got close a couple of times but in each case the controller got written off before it could be saved.

Not sure if the controller will be removed or not, the owner is considering keeping it as a (non-functioning) centre-piece for the dining room wall. But if he does remove it, very likely he'll ask me to do so, and you'd be welcome to it.

Thanks. Lots of people save vintage heaters because they look interesting and can just be picked up and relocated. But it's a lot harder to save representative examples of installed systems, and very few people are interested in them, so I'm trying to fill that blank. 1970s central heating controls, anyone? (I'm especially looking for the SMC dual pump 'controller' system.)

I came across this one, still in use, last year. Creda Comfortaire white meter system from the 70's. Central unit with ducting to various outlets, throughout the house. Originally the whole housing estate had them but I think this is the last one in use.

Vintage Honeywell panel heater control? IMG_0443 - EletriciansForums.netVintage Honeywell panel heater control? IMG_0442 - EletriciansForums.netVintage Honeywell panel heater control? IMG_0448 - EletriciansForums.netVintage Honeywell panel heater control? IMG_0447 - EletriciansForums.net

Exactly that sort of thing. Used until it breaks, then immediately abandoned and pulled out by contractors, often destroyed in the process. Very difficult to catch at a point where it can be saved. Now I think about it, we don't have a white meter in the collection.

If anyone's wondering about the bottom left 'attachment', it's a door stop, with cork..... to protect the controller. A bit of 70's innovation.
That's how tight (and badly) the houses/flats were designed and installed. I'll bet many unit covers were smashed by the kitchen door.
The controller's not fully functional, they get by manually, to a degree. I had a quick look but they just wanted the 'Timac and FCU replacing for hot water. That's fed from the right hand switch on the main isolator, so two supplies there.
I reckon the dial looks brilliant.

Vintage Honeywell panel heater control? IMG_0440 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Vintage Honeywell panel heater control? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock