Discuss Voltage on disconnected cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
I think I may be going mad...job I was at today there was a strip light needing replaced, were 3 feeds & neutrals and a feed & switch wire at it. Was sure I marked everything ok but as there are ceiling panels going on before the light goes back on I thought I’d do a quick check, turned light switch on & volt stick buzzed, turned it off & still buzzed. Took readings with it on & got the usual 230v L & N, L & E & 0v N & E. Then turned it off & was getting 60V between L & N and L & E & still 0v between neutral & earth. So...I disconnected the cable & still there’s voltage on it?!?! It’s literally one twin & earth cable that’s being used as a feed & switch from light to light switch. Any ideas?!
[automerge]1568391103[/automerge]
Should have says the L I’m testing is the Live returning from the switch.

Last edited:
That's normal behaviour for a volt stick, they are unreliable as a means of identifying dead conductors.
What did you use to measure the 60V? If it was a multimeter or similar then this may be normal capacitively coupled voltage, an approved voltage indicator would be far better for testing this.

Dead good those volt sticks, saved me from the deadly hole punch more than once I can tell you...

Voltage on disconnected cable IMG_2501.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Suppose what I really need to know is there any way to get rid of it & if not is it safe to leave in?

Suppose what I really need to know is there any way to get rid of it & if not is it safe to leave in?

Option 1
Terminate each end correctly in an enclosure
That way any induced voltage is safely contained.

Option 2
Remove cable and place in skip,
Should solve the problem.

Option 3
Bond all cores of said cable to something that is connected to earth.

Reply to Voltage on disconnected cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock