Discuss Walkover paving lights - more hassle than it's worth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

My first post here, and looking for advice on a full home renovation that is about to start. They are kicking off with some garden work whilst the builders knock down half the house, so I suspect this will be question 1 of many questions over the next year.

They are about to start the foundation for the paving and then lay down the paving slabs. So I am looking to install walkover lights in my garden paving to outline the paving edge.

The electrician said he can do it, however, he recommended that I do not go ahead with this and instead install small lighting posts on the various corners of the paving.

He said the walkover lights will break after a few years and are then difficult to replace. He said that water will eventually get in from beneath or above and break down the seal or find away into the fixture/cabling resulting in the fixture ultimately failing. Even with the gel and various protection methods he claimed it will ultimately fail faster than expected. Whilst the posts do not have the same risks and can also be easily replaced.

The walkover lights are more convenient, less intrusive and look better. However if they fail frequently, I won't be able to afford to replace them.

Is this true? I am not experienced with this, what should I do?

Well I have never fitted them , but there are quite a few in the street near my Doc's and none of them have worked for years...

It’s an interesting conundrum because as a customer you have a clear idea of what you want. Also good, and what you’d like to expect, to have a spark familiar with the products that are out there and their limitations.
Ultimately the decision is yours. It may be that if you spend more time researching you may find a more durable product out there that suits you initial spec? All the best with your project.
Are you sure that having hard landscape done before main building work is the right order and that your new paving and fancy lighting isn’t going to be trashed by Mr builder and his big digger sorting out foundations and new drainage etc?

Last edited:
This is one I disagree with I’ve had drive-over lights on my driveway for years in rainy greenock and only 1 problem was a duff fitting that was a leaker. Get a good brand. The more you pay now the less you’ll pay in the long run.... Make sure he reads the instructions and installs them right.... most lights need a good layer of gravel underneath sort of like a french drain.

This is one I disagree with I’ve had drive-over lights on my driveway for years in rainy greenock and only 1 problem was a duff fitting that was a leaker. Get a good brand. The more you pay now the less you’ll pay in the long run.... Make sure he reads the instructions and installs them right.... most lights need a good layer of gravel underneath sort of like a french drain.

Really? It would really appreciate if I can get some recommendations for brands/lights.

And for draining, what would I tell the builders/electricians to do to ensure there is sufficient?

Reply to Walkover paving lights - more hassle than it's worth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net