Discuss Washing machine brushes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Slightly out of range but I have had a problem with my washing machine and checked the brushes (which were fine) and think I put them back left right and right left; the motor was whining a lot on running and the brushes sparking a bit but the spin cycle seemed to calm it down!
I was wondering if, since the brushes did not shatter, whether I am now OK apart from probably loads of carbon dust in the motor.
Does anyone know how long it takes to wear down a brush to the right shape or if there will be any other problems?
The machine works fine now!

Thanks for your help.

should be OK. as long as there were no sharp edges to damage the copper segments of the comm.

These ones come in nylon push in housings Tony, they are very easy to get them swapped over when puting them back in. Have to confess I did that the first time I checked some (a "couple" of years ago). :dunce2:

This may come as a silly question, why did you turn the brushes?
Slight lack of attention, I took both brushes off and then when I put them back in a few hours later I just lined them up to the comm and thought that looks about right, but I put the left hand one in the right hand side and the right hand one in the left hand side, even though they are fairly similar in angle they are not quite the same and I thought the whining was from me overtightening the belt and straining the bearings so it had run for some time before I noticed the extra sparking from the brushes and decided it was a bit late to change them back again.

can always get the missus one of these.

Washing machine brushes {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Washing machine brushes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock