Discuss Water bond under carpet/furniture in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicebloke

I am going to quote for a job (new circuit). Problem is the 10mm water bond is under the living room carpet/furniture as there is no stopcock in the house. I know it's within 600mm of the incoming water pIpe because I connected it there many years ago. I did a quick wander lead test from the water bond at the C/U and got a reading at a radiator and a kitchen water pipe which confirms the bonding is still connected (as expected), but not surprisingly the measurement is way above the limit for a normal wander lead test to the connection on the water pipe.

I take it I will have no choice but to test at the actual incomng water pipe connection?

Elderly customers can't move the furniture or lift the carpet/underlay, so I will just add the extra cost on the quote for me doing it (assuming there is no way around it).

I am going to quote for a job (new circuit). Problem is the 10mm water bond is under the living room carpet/furniture as there is no stopcock in the house. I know it's within 600mm of the incoming water pIpe because I connected it there many years ago. I did a quick wander lead test from the water bond at the C/U and got a reading at a radiator and a kitchen water pipe which confirms the bonding is still connected (as expected), but not surprisingly the measurement is way above the limit for a normal wander lead test to the connection on the water pipe.

I take it I will have no choice but to test at the actual incomng water pipe connection?

Elderly customers can't move the furniture or lift the carpet/underlay, so I will just add the extra cost on the quote for me doing it (assuming there is no way around it).
What was the reading?

Have you measured that correctly, that should have given warning bells. Have you deducted the wander lead resistance.

I agree it is very high. I will just quote them extra for getting the floorboards up and if they don't like it they can get someone else as I can't see how I would get around it without doing so, and it won't change my life too much if they don't want me doing the work.

Chris Kitcher broke my last crocodile clip, when I tried to secure it to a gas pipe like he suggested :mad:

Not sure you gonna get a good connection at a radiator to secure a suitable low reading? What kitchen pipe did you attach your lead to? And have to ask why the bond is under the floor? Do you know if the water service is metal?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Chris Kitcher broke my last crocodile clip, when I tried to secure it to a gas pipe like he suggested :mad:

Not sure you gonna get a good connection at a radiator to secure a suitable low reading? What kitchen pipe did you attach your lead to? And have to ask why the bond is under the floor? Do you know if the water service is metal?
Charge him for a replacement:rolleyes:o_O:D:p:confused:

I connected my long wander lead to the first copper water pipe I could see under the sink and a new kitchen has been fitted since I was last there. I did a brief check for continuity using a crocodile clip and the readings were similar on the water pipe and radiator (remember it was a very quick check because I haven't even got the job and this was just for a quote).

Due to the lack of stop cock and the fact there is a concrete floor in the kitchen, connecting the bond within 600mm of the incoming main water was nearer to the C/U and met the regs.

I've added my time in to lift the floorboards and move furniture/carpet and about to email it to them with it included in the quote and as before, if they don't like it I won't be too upset.

I connected my long wander lead to the first copper water pipe I could see under the sink and a new kitchen has been fitted since I was last there. I did a brief check for continuity using a crocodile clip and the readings were similar on the water pipe and radiator (remember it was a very quick check because I haven't even got the job and this was just for a quote).

Due to the lack of stop cock and the fact there is a concrete floor in the kitchen, connecting the bond within 600mm of the incoming main water was nearer to the C/U and met the regs.

I've added my time in to lift the floorboards and move furniture/carpet and about to email it to them with it included in the quote and as before, if they don't like it I won't be too upset.

You can only do what you can do.

Reply to Water bond under carpet/furniture in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net