Discuss Water Damaged Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Novice

-
Reaction score
Advice very much needed, as I am worried about safety.

We recently had a very bad leak in our bathroom - a pipe under the bath popped off and a whole bath of water gushed through the ceiling, down into the kitchen below.

A lot of water ran straight through the Consumer unit (photo attached) and tripped the board straight away.

Insurance company sent an emergency electrician who said that the electric was not safe to put back on and put up a temporary board. We had to move out of the house and it has been empty for over 6 months whilst the walls have been dried out etc.

Baring in mind that the Consumer Unit has not been used for 6 months and basically stood in a cold house possibly cording away due to it be saturated by hot soapy water (lots of it) - I was very surprised that the company doing the works has had their own electrician inspect it and he deems it safe not to replace it. They have also re-instated the same spot lights that literally had water running through them.

Firstly like to say that the company doing our work are very good - but I'm not sure if they told the electrician they had come to inspect the electrics that the CU had been totally saturated.

Since turning the electrics back on we no longer have electric in our garage - which has never been a problem before.

As I said, I am genuinely worried that when we eventually move back in that the electrics will not be safe.................I would definitely be replacing all the fire alarms.

With so much soapy water running through should the unit be changed?

Attachments

• Water Damaged Consumer Unit IMG_0381 3.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0381 3.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • Water Damaged Consumer Unit Electric Board 1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Electric Board 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
I see where Rob is going with his question, when you say "they put in a Temp board" what exactly did they do?
What you need is an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)
This may be what you are waiting for from your insurance company they obviously haven't said, hence Rob's question.

Just under the CU they put a set of sockets with a lead direct to the Electric board (basically not using the CU). They did this so that they could plug the dehumidifiers in.

Sorry for layman's terms!

Common sense to me would be that they wouldn't use a CU or spot lights that have had water running though them. But I am not an expert.

Just under the CU they put a set of sockets with a lead direct to the Electric board (basically not using the CU). They did this so that they could plug the dehumidifiers in.

Common sense to me would be that they wouldn't use a CU or spot lights that have had water running though them. But I am not an expert.

Are you sure?
So they have fitted a set of sockets without having any protection for them.. EG circuit breakers?
Can you post up some pics of new sockets and the route the cable for these sockets take.

Don’t worry about layman’s terms your making perfect sense.

Agree with spoon I hope the is some kind of protection between the main incoming and the temporary sockets.

As for the wet board and lights.
They can be perfectly fine once everything has dried out, but a full set of testing would need to be carried out to prove this.
That’s where an EICR ( electrical installation condition report) comes in.

They have removed the temporary board now, so unfortunately can't take any photos of it.

But I'm not worried about the temp board as it's been removed. I'm more about them not replacing the CU.

We are still not living in the property (as it still doesn't have a working bathroom) but we have switched on some lights last night. Is it possible that our lights would be dimmer if there was a fault somewhere? Our lights do seem dimmer - but we are unsure and are doubting ourselves??

Everything I've read says that if a CU has had contaminated water (soapy) run through it that it should be replaced. It wasn't just a bit of water it was lots. Even if the insurers wont pay for one - because the company dealing with the work says its fine.........do you think it would be worth getting a second opinion and new board - in the interest of safety we would pay for this ourself if it meant we could sleep at night without the fear of having our house burn down!!

They have removed the temporary board now, so unfortunately can't take any photos of it.

But I'm not worried about the temp board as it's been removed. I'm more about them not replacing the CU.

We are still not living in the property (as it still doesn't have a working bathroom) but we have switched on some lights last night. Is it possible that our lights would be dimmer if there was a fault somewhere? Our lights do seem dimmer - but we are unsure and are doubting ourselves??

Everything I've read says that if a CU has had contaminated water (soapy) run through it that it should be replaced. It wasn't just a bit of water it was lots. Even if the insurers wont pay for one - because the company dealing with the work says its fine.........do you think it would be worth getting a second opinion and new board - in the interest of safety we would pay for this ourself if it meant we could sleep at night without the fear of having our house burn down!!
Yes What sort of outfit were the Electricians, I wouldn't switch back on until you have the results of the tests carried out by these Electricians, my experience of Insurance companies is choose the cheapest, once they have assurance that all is OK, from what ever source they are in the clear, ergo "well you told us all was OK".

Have you considered consulting a loss assessor?

You can include the fees as part of your claim.

This link May help you decide if it's worth it.

There are others. Try locate one in your area for a free consultation. Good luck.

It's brave man who would put his name to re using a box full of MCBs and RCDs that have just had water emptied out of them.

It's brave man who would put his name to re using a box full of MCBs and RCDs that have just had water emptied out of them.

I’m cheap and absolutely hate waste but reusing a water drenched consumer unit is even pushing it too far me me.

I would happily dry out and refuse any lights and accessories but waterlogged mcbs / rcds would be in the bin I’m afraid

Similar thing happened to my neighbours house, although the CU wasn’t directly affected, I recommended changing the protective devices and any other metallic parts(busbar).... insurance co. went for a complete new CU, which was possibly cheaper to buy fully loaded.
I certainly would change any accessories that have had a good rinse like that. Any corrosion on switch contacts and sockets could cause an issue later on even if it tests fine just now.

An EICR would only check the fixed wiring anyway. Anything electronic such as smokies would be disconnected for the test.

Reply to Water Damaged Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock