Discuss Wattage from a Power Extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I've damaged 2 power supplies for my computer, these were both new. It may just be a coincidence or I may have a faulty power extension which is an old 2 meter, 13 amp, 6 way, with surge protection (although the led indicator for this has dimmed over the years and is not visible when viewed in natural daylight). This is connected to the main ring which is 30 amps, the computer requires 10 amps, monitor is 2 amps. A few other devices at less than 1 amp each, which are on standby most of the time. Plus occasionally a fast charging brick for the mobile, which draws 2 amps.

Everything on full power simultaneously is rare. However, the computer may regularly use over 1 kw for 24 hours straight. Maxed out is about 1.6 kw.

In this situation could an old power extension be a problem? Am I just overthinking this and everything is probably fine. Or should I be plugging the computer into a separate wall socket?

the computer requires 10 amps

Is it mining crypto? Most computers use a fraction of this. Unless it is chucking out as much heat as a fanheater, it's probably not using more than a couple of amps. Likewise there is no charger for a mobile device that uses 2A continuously on 230V. Note that the current shown on the spec plate will be worst case momentary load usually at 100V or less, so as we use 230V mains you can divide it by 2.3 for starters.

A faulty power cable cannot usually damage connected equipment, unless it is arcing badly and eventually the input filter of the computer PSU has got bored with that. But that would usually melt or set the cable on fire first, or the computer would keep going off.

I think you had two faulty PSUs.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Is it mining crypto? Most computers use a fraction of this.
Neural Networks rather than mining. I have 4 GPU's which each are require 250w.

A faulty power cable cannot usually damage connected equipment, unless it is arcing badly and eventually the input filter of the computer PSU has got bored with that. But that would usually melt or set the cable on fire first, or the computer would keep going off.

I've connected two computers to this power cable, the workstation with the 4 GPU's blew completely within a few minutes of it powering up for the first time. The second normal spec computer has been intermittently switching itself off randomly between 10 mins and an hour or so of it booting up.

I have RMA'd the PSU's and got a new power cable just incase. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Reply to Wattage from a Power Extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net