Discuss What are my options next just got niceic Domestic installer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all just got my niceic Domestic installer assessment passed what should I do next. Ive only got my 2365 level 2. Passed the 18th edition and building regs exam for part p been working for some one for 18 years how hard is it now to go alone

Self employment is great....but not for everyone...also be careful as the domestic installer market is heavily saturated, good luck though mate

Customer base......build it up before you leave your current job (try not to steel your current employer clients !)
If you feel that you have enough work to cover what you get paid now then make the break but remember you will have no paid holidays etc etc as self employed
Good luck

If you don’t mind me asking ‘why now’ ?
18 years seems a pretty good stable run of employment.
Most people that I know who are now self employed did so after redundancy or necessity...
But well done on getting your D.I status and 18 years on the tools experience will stand you in good stead

If you don’t mind me asking ‘why now’ ?
18 years seems a pretty good stable run of employment.
Most people that I know who are now self employed did so after redundancy or necessity...
But well done on getting your D.I status and 18 years on the tools experience will stand you in good stead
Thanks Dusty ive made the investment to get DI now because the employer is retiring just want a safety net i guess

Well done,dude :)

SE is not a job...it's an adventure.

Could you tell us the type of work you have been involved in,and where you feel your strengths are?

The chances of landing as a SE spark,without a build up of contacts and work,and nailing it,is on par with taking a Belgian and a PM out for a couple of beers,and the morning after,solving a current issue...;)

Self employment is a big step. You will need a decent size customer base, which you should have built up over those 18 years.
You will find it is like a rollercoaster at times. You will make a few extra dollars because you did a job with leftover parts from a previous job, Then the lows of going a week or two with no jobs. If you have a family you should put a lot of thought in to it, if you are single go for it, it is a great experience.... but not for everyone.

Probably my best advice is while in the last few years of this employed job , to save away at least a few grand in a fund to set up as a DI and pay yourself a small wage for the first few months.
There are lots of DI in my area of Surrey but equally there is lots of building going on so yes there is lots of competition but equally lots of opportunity.

Reply to What are my options next just got niceic Domestic installer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net