Discuss what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

What's the best brands if I want to drop down in price from knipex ?

I've a good few vde tools to get

Try a few pairs in your hands and see what feels right. Length is one factor, but also the shape of handles and insulation. I'm using 200mm CK, but can't get on with the same length of Knipex. A colleague uses 225mm Knipex, and they seemed alright when I've used them, but others seem to prefer 180mm in various brands.

Last edited:
Generally I like to have a small pair of electronic style cutters for fine work and something like the 220mm for big cables, but as above, best to try them out in your hand to see what feels good.

I got a pair of the cutters with the strip cut-outs and actually hate them, far less useful than I thought they would be and traditionally I try to cut close to the fulcrum point to make it easier, with them stuff is only half-cut (i.e. cable ties, not drink-related!)

AEG MULTITOOL. uses same batteries as my 14 year old combi drill and impact driver. intercangeable heads so a right angle driver available.

OMNI_18C_Li-202B--Hero_1.jpg

Generally I like to have a small pair of electronic style cutters for fine work and something like the 220mm for big cables, but as above, best to try them out in your hand to see what feels good.

I got a pair of the cutters with the strip cut-outs and actually hate them, far less useful than I thought they would be and traditionally I try to cut close to the fulcrum point to make it easier, with them stuff is only half-cut (i.e. cable ties, not drink-related!)

I have a love/hate relationship with CK Combicutters. They'd be far better if the notches were tighter together and right at one end or the other.

not used the notches in mine ever since buying klein auto strippers.

20211109_100604.jpg

Impact wrench finally kitted out

Looks like I'm going to be mostly using it with the 1/4 " adapter

Everything's impact rated but I suspect I'll be needing plenty of those adapters ,can't see them lasting

Last edited:
20211109_201603.jpg

Another few bits sorted on the list

The 8" shears feels a bit big for one handed cutting ,maybe I'll get used to it

Got a tip for the portasol that was lying around a few years

Managed to snag a 180mm knipex vde combi pliers for about £ 17 off Amazon with a voucher

Last edited:
Amazing how the default is crap tools unless you purposely research the good stuff

I think a lot of it is competition and sales pushing the useless tools

I must have been using a short 3.5mm rethreader for years before I upgraded to a long one

What's a durable brand of vde screwdriver ?

Something below the knipex price point

Which is more useful in a vde set, Pozi or Philips ?

Last edited:

Reply to what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net