Discuss What do I need to become fully qualified? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m currently in the forces and I’m doing a part time electrician course for when I get out. The course is through ‘new trade careers’ (which I know are pretty crap), but was the best way to fit into my work schedule. It’s a C&G course where I’ll gain:
C&G 2365 level 3 diploma in installing electrotechnical systems and equipment
2391-52 level 3 inspection and testing
Part p full scope
18th wiring regs
AM2
I’ve been trying to find out exactly if I can then go out and work for myself including self certifying my work but it’s a mine field trying to understand the different requirements.
If anyone can shed any lights on this I’ll be very grateful.
Cheers in advance.

TL;DR
Help understanding what qualifications are needed to become an electrician.
I’m currently in the forces and I’m doing a part time electrician course for when I get out. The course is through ‘new trade careers’ (which I know are pretty crap), but was the best way to fit into my work schedule. It’s a C&G course where I’ll gain:
C&G 2365 level 3 diploma in installing electrotechnical systems and equipment
2391-52 level 3 inspection and testing
Part p full scope
18th wiring regs
AM2
I’ve been trying to find out exactly if I can then go out and work for myself including self certifying my work but it’s a mine field trying to understand the different requirements.
If anyone can shed any lights on this I’ll be very grateful.
Cheers in advance.

Not really as you won't be able register with a scheme without an NVQ3 plus from a practical perspective you won't have any experience in the field so could get in a mess. If you can get all the quals above, once you get out, register with an agency to get work as an electricians mate or as an improver. You will get great experience with supervision and can then do your NVQ3 at same time to get qualified and get graded as an Electrician with the JIB. All your prior courses you mention above will go toward NVQ so nothing will be wasted. Once you've got all that, loads of options for you then.

Reply to What do I need to become fully qualified? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net