Discuss What notification/certification is required for new Garage/Workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My dad is knocking down his old out buildings, garage and small workshop, and having a new all in one built with a second storey to be utilised for storage area. The electrical supply and cable will be the same as was used for the original buildings which was fitted approx 20 years ago coming from its own circuit in the household CCU. Obviously the intention is to install another small consumer unit in the garage to feed lighting and socket circuits. Im quite recently qualified and a little unsure as to the extent at which this is notifiable and certificated. Im installing a new CCU and new final circuits in the new garage which, of course, is notifiable but could it be argued that ultimately it is an addition/alteration to an existing circuit (from the household CCU) and therefore not necessarily notifiable? The installation will be designed, installed and tested in accordance with regs.

Many thanks

The alteration to the existing distribution circuit is an alteration to the existing installation.
The new circuits in the garage are an addition to the existing installation.

New circuits must be notified for the purposes of part P.

As this is a rebuild it would be notifiable work. Is the construction work being notified under building control? If so the electrical works would fall under this so no need for seperate notification as it would be done under the building permit.

As this is a rebuild it would be notifiable work. Is the construction work being notified under building control? If so the electrical works would fall under this so no need for seperate notification as it would be done under the building permit.

Yes the electrical works can fall under the same planning permission/building notice, but a conversation with the building inspector now would be a good idea.

I'm converting my garage to a habitable room. I have Planning approval and a Building Notice.

I asked the question of my LBC about carrying out 'notifiable' electrical works, with me no longer being in a Scheme. They still wanted a 'check & balance', and will require me to have my electrical work checked by a contractor in a Scheme, and issue an EICR.

As @davesparks says, OP should speak to the LBC.

I asked the question of my LBC about carrying out 'notifiable' electrical works, with me no longer being in a Scheme. They still wanted a 'check & balance', and will require me to have my electrical work checked by a contractor in a Scheme, and issue an EICR
This is the problem nationally, different LABCs have different views. My local was more than happy with certification from myself as the building warrant was the notification. It's never easy.

This is the problem nationally, different LABCs have different views. My local was more than happy with certification from myself as the building warrant was the notification. It's never easy.
same here. i'm not a scam member. BC asked for a copy of qualifications, then were happy as long as i sen them a copy EIC.

same here. i'm not a scam member. BC asked for a copy of qualifications, then were happy as long as i sen them a copy EIC.
Mt BC isn't even the real BC as they use subcontractors, the spotty yoof didn't even understand the difference between standard plasterboard and pink board when he came to do the inspection...

When I initially spoke to my LBC 'supervisor', he said just send us your last Scheme assessment, and that will be okay. Guess they didn't know what qualifications would be suitable, and just were gonna go with what was documented in my old assessment.

That was until they all had a 'chat' about it, and decided on the EICR route.

That was until they all had a 'chat' about it, and decided on the EICR route.

The chat probably went something like:

"Do you understand this?"
"Nope, do you? "
"Nope."
"How do we get out of this and make it someone else's problem if it all goes wrong?"
"We could make them pay for a contractor to come and test it."
"Yep, sounds good to me! "

Or maybe
"do we still get a back-hander from your mate the electrician for doing EICRs for part P compliance?"
"we sure do"
"great, I could use the cash"

The chat probably went something like:

"Do you understand this?"
"Nope, do you? "
"Nope."
"How do we get out of this and make it someone else's problem if it all goes wrong?"
"We could make them pay for a contractor to come and test it."
"Yep, sounds good to me! "

Or maybe
"do we still get a back-hander from your mate the electrician for doing EICRs for part P compliance?"
"we sure do"
"great, I could use the cash"

Yep I've no doubt, its in the too difficult box for them.

I have this document from the IET, which I might submit to my LBC, but I'm not convinced would work.

I've contacted a couple of Napit 3rd party electricians. One was local, but they actually don't do them, mistake by Napit. Others aren't interested as they are too far away.

I know a Scheme registered sparks, who will do an EICR, after I've done my EIC. I'll submit the EICR to my LBC. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IET-BCA Guidance Doc Electrician Competence.pdf
    286.6 KB · Views: 5

Reply to What notification/certification is required for new Garage/Workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net