Discuss What qualification? Home work only. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

This has probably been answered on here at some point but I cannot see anything. I was just wondering what qualification is needed to be able to do any electrical work at home only? Is it a domestic installer qualification or something less? I don't want to get paid or work on anything other than my own home.

Thanks in advance.

you don't need any qualifications to carry out work in your own home. however, you must be competent, and possess the right test equipment (and the knowledge to use it) to test your work. ideally you should complete a certificate ( EIC or MWC ) for any work done :and any work must be done safely. serious injury, death or fire could be the result of sub-standard electrical work.

Hi Dan welcome to the forum.

Some works are notifiable to your local building control. What electrical work, are you intending to do?

Hi Dan welcome to the forum.

Some works are notifiable to your local building control. What electrical work, are you intending to do?

Thanks Midwest. In terms of the work I have nothing in particular in mind. Just new fittings and socket installs in the future as required. Nothing complex or out of the ordinary. I just want it to be legal.

Thanks Midwest. In terms of the work I have nothing in particular in mind. Just new fittings and socket installs in the future as required. Nothing complex or out of the ordinary. I just want it to be legal.

I think #2 answers your question. New circuits, work with zones in a special location (bathroom etc) & replacement consumer units, will need notification to LBC. Qualifications are not required per say, but its a way of showing competency. If you chose that route, you could enquire with one of the forums sponsors, but even those short courses are expensive. Then you'll need some test equipment, which you could purchase second hand & have calibrated. All this adds up.

But you could just surf the net & do what you want in your own home. Personally, these days, I pay to have any work carried out in my house by the appropriate trades person. Apart from painting.

For the amount of work you would be better off getting an electrician in for these small jobs.
The amount of time and money you would spend would be amazingly disproportionate to the cost of hiring someone.

There will be electrical diy jobs you can do however, such as changing light fittings, without too much knowledge. The key knowledge is safety based first and foremost.

I think #2 answers your question. New circuits, work with zones in a special location (bathroom etc) & replacement consumer units, will need notification to LBC. Qualifications are not required per say, but its a way of showing competency. If you chose that route, you could enquire with one of the forums sponsors, but even those short courses are expensive. Then you'll need some test equipment, which you could purchase second hand & have calibrated. All this adds up.

But you could just surf the net & do what you want in your own home. Personally, these days, I pay to have any work carried out in my house by the appropriate trades person. Apart from painting.

From what I have seen online the majority of work that is completed by a non-qualified individual can be an issue when it comes to insurance.

For the amount of work you would be better off getting an electrician in for these small jobs.
The amount of time and money you would spend would be amazingly disproportionate to the cost of hiring someone.

There will be electrical diy jobs you can do however, such as changing light fittings, without too much knowledge. The key knowledge is safety based first and foremost.

Andy this isn't a cost issue - I'd like to do it as I'm interested in it. I can already do various bits and pieces but 1, I'd like to learn more and 2, I'd like it to be legal and certified as needed. I'm happy to do the training involved. No one will actually give that info though!

I think most peoples thoughts of not having to be qualified as its your home are incorrect (unless fitting like for like). Insurance is void in many cases for a start.

Andy this isn't a cost issue - I'd like to do it as I'm interested in it. I can already do various bits and pieces but 1, I'd like to learn more and 2, I'd like it to be legal and certified as needed. I'm happy to do the training involved. No one will actually give that info though!

I think most peoples thoughts of not having to be qualified as its your home are incorrect (unless fitting like for like). Insurance is void in many cases for a start.

Your best first point of research might be the requirements stipulated by your home insurer for electrical work carried out in your house then.

If I told you it could easily cost you £5k and upwards for the training, insurances, equipment, memberships etc to be competent do the work you are talking of, that might help with where my last comment was coming from.

Your best first point of research might be the requirements stipulated by your home insurer for electrical work carried out in your house then.

If I told you it could easily cost you £5k and upwards for the training, insurances, equipment, memberships etc to be competent do the work you are talking of, that might help with where my last comment was coming from.

Under £2K for a domestic installers qualification. Memberships on top of that wont add £3k from what I've seen. I'd like the knowledge so am happy to pay. I do see where you are coming from this isn't from a cost point of view - I want to be able to do the work.

Under £2K for a domestic installers qualification. Memberships on top of that wont add £3k from what I've seen. I'd like the knowledge so am happy to pay. I do see where you are coming from this isn't from a cost point of view - I want to be able to do the work.

A domestic installer's course may be a good start, but it's not something I would recommend as the content compared to the cost has always appeared to be a huge rip off when compared to the proper qualifications.
They have a reputation for providing the minimal training required to just pass the quals they are telling you that you need. They are get rich quick schemes, but not for the applicants, for the providers.

If you are actually interested in learning it would not be the route I would suggest. I would also be hesitant to recommend the proper quals to a diyer though as that could take years to complete.

A thorough dose of self study down the library might be a good start.

Reply to What qualification? Home work only. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock