Discuss What transformers kill LED lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What LED lamps are they? A lot of the cheaper ones simply do not work properly with existing transformers. The Phillips LEDs do work with existing transformers and although are a bit more expensive, much better value.

I use aurora aue 60 with phillips mr16 lamps and have not had any trouble.
Although if you use an old transformer with a new lamp the transformer dies pretty quick.

The flickering can occur when dimming due to the way the dimming is done. The reaction time of an led lamp is much quicker than the filament in a halogen lamp and so at around 35% dim you cabegin to see the light switching on and off as flickering as the dimmer cuts the supply.

Thats what philips explained to me anyway

this transformer will kill any known LED.

What transformers kill LED lights {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Why would a standard 50W wound transformer not work for LED lamps?? I can understand with some of these newer electronic type tranny's, but i can't see how a proper wound tranny can be detrimental to LED lamps...

Anyone care to enlighten me here?? I admit, i haven't had particularly that much experience with low voltage LED fittings and lamps, so i could be totally wrong in my theory of wound transformers with lower wattage LED lamps...

Why would a standard 50W wound transformer not work for LED lamps?? I can understand with some of these newer electronic type tranny's, but i can't see how a proper wound tranny can be detrimental to LED lamps...

Anyone care to enlighten me here?? I admit, i haven't had particularly that much experience with low voltage LED fittings and lamps, so i could be totally wrong in my theory of wound transformers with lower wattage LED lamps...

Some of the chap ones (Aldi and Lidl) need dc, they come with plug in switch mode psu, they won't last very long on a 12 v ac tranny. I remember the reverse voltage of a LED should not exceed 5 V, is this right? My electronics, long time ago...

Some of the chap ones (Aldi and Lidl) need dc, they come with plug in switch mode psu, they won't last very long on a 12 v ac tranny. I remember the reverse voltage of a LED should not exceed 5 V, is this right? My electronics, long time ago...

Mines a hell of a lot longer ago than that!! But sounds about right in the circumstances lol!!

Now if were talking DC lamps on an AC circuit i can understand, but i'm pretty sure that isn't the norm, or is it??

I'm pretty certain that LED lamps are going to play a major role on this project (though i doubt, not so much in 12V form) so i'd better start looking into the pro/cons/ and limitations of LED lighting and lamps... lol!!!

Reply to What transformers kill LED lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock