Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

NICEIC Certification Scheme Whats going on with niceic

Discuss Whats going on with niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

That all sounds a bit strange. The only issues I can think of are insulation, bend radius if it's a small cavity, or cables unsupported. Whenever I've pulled new tails up a cavity it's usually been quite a short distance so support can't be a major issue. And as long as they are greater than 50mm in the wall then no rcd required either. I hate it when I get the feeling there's something I should know but don't!!

Anyway, congratulations- sounds like you're in the NAPIT gang.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Putting in new tails in a cavity last week (running about 0.5m horizontally), I put them in flexi conduit for protection. This was a 2-storey building with a clear view up the cavity, where rubble could fall and damage the tails. (I was fortunate that there was a gaping hole in the wall where I'd removed a mantel box, so this was easy to do, and even better that someone else was going to make good the brick work).

Reaction score
Its a fair point. I suppose its possible for falling debris in the cavity to damage the meter tails. It would be a bit of a coincidence though- someone would have to be drilling a fairly large hole vertically in line with the tails from a high position to damage them. Perhaps coring a hole for an extractor or something. Ironically not a problem if the cavity is insulation filled!

You could argue the same about cables clipped direct in a garage (even meter tails) - they could be damaged by stuff leaning on them like sharp gardening tools etc. I've even seen meter tails used to hang stuff off. How far do you go before it all gets a bit overkill?

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Been with Napit since The beginning of part P personal membership number in the low hundreds , i would say in the early years they were not top of the game , to the point of looking at Elecsa about 8 or 9 years ago .
But I can honestly say they have now gone from strength to strength in the last 4 or 5 years and generally you can not fault the technical now days .
And the assessment's , although thorough , are treated with a mutual respect !
I hand can hand on heart say , that I am pleased we stayed with them in the end .

Reaction score
Worrying. I've been chasing them for a while for a domestic installer application form. How hard is it to email a PDF to someone?
The cynic in me says they are stalling to avoid a rush of scheme applications before 31st Aug. (Which to be fair is what I'm doing, however...)
If I don't do it right now, then I fear the ship has sailed for 1st September anyhoo as I won't get an assessment before then.

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone been experiencing problems getting contact with Niceic? I've been registered domestic installer for 12 years but now.......

• the help line don't get back to me for days.
  • I've had no assessment for 18 months but they continue to take my money.
  • applied to join the PRS scheme online twice but no one ever contacted me about it. When I eventually rang and spoke to a guy he asked me to send proof of qualifications then ring back. I did that but the phone goes to voice mail and his mailbox tells me it's full and can't take any more messages.! WTF ??

Just wondered if anyone else has seen a massive decline in service. Or is it just me??
Post September 2021 I hear they aren't accepting any short course applications due to a surfeit of poor workmanship reports and recall visits from some short course Guys, info from PE July / August publication.

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Worrying. I've been chasing them for a while for a domestic installer application form. How hard is it to email a PDF to someone?
The cynic in me says they are stalling to avoid a rush of scheme applications before 31st Aug. (Which to be fair is what I'm doing, however...)
If I don't do it right now, then I fear the ship has sailed for 1st September anyhoo as I won't get an assessment before then.
If you cannot meet the new registration criteria that is coming in from September then you may already have a problem.
What you have to consider is that annual assessment of existing scheme members runs alongside assessment of prospective new members so there will be a finite number of slots to assess any new applications in the run up to September and no doubt training updates and holidays for the assessors will reduce the number of available slots , the question then is if they have applications from people that meet the new criteria will they get preference over those that don't
While those who are already registered below the level set in the new criteria can remain in the schemes my understanding is they have to have a CPD policy to bring themselves up to the new registration level although is does not appear to set a timescale for how long they have to reach the new level before they lose their scheme membership
So in your case getting in is only part of the problem as at some point you will have to do the courses necessary to meet the new criteria.

MG201

-
Reaction score
The problem with the NICEIC is it is living on it's name and the respect it had 25+ years ago it just needs people to realise that they are no longer the be all and end all of the electrical industry and stop promoting them as such
I see lots of NICEIC STAFF have now moved to STROMA the guys who did the online NICEIC training ( more like stand on fence stuff lol hey it could be a C1 or a C2 even a c3 Infact it might be a Fi)

Reply to Whats going on with niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net