Discuss Whats my rights with cctv - UK in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

motofox

DIY
Reaction score
So can anyone advise me on our rights regarding security cameras in the UK. our house is detached and i have my own cameras positioned low so not to impose over anyone's garden fence ect, however next door has just installed a couple of cameras that are quite high and have clear line of sight into my back garden and possibly our bedroom, one is 3m from our back fence and above it , surly back gardens are a private space not public

i know everyone has the right to protect there home and property with cctv but surly there is limits and back gardens and rear of house are private,

Where do we stand exactly

The problem, as you rightly pointed out, lies in the fact that you perceive that one of your neighbours’ CCTV cameras is pointing directly at your property and this is a Privacy Issue. As far as the law goes in this regard, it would be covered by the Human Rights Act under your rights to privacy. Article 8 of the Act entitled “The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life, Home and Correspondence” means that your neighbour might well be breaking the law here.

The problem, as you rightly pointed out, lies in the fact that you perceive that one of your neighbours’ CCTV cameras is pointing directly at your property and this is a Privacy Issue. As far as the law goes in this regard, it would be covered by the Human Rights Act under your rights to privacy. Article 8 of the Act entitled “The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life, Home and Correspondence” means that your neighbour might well be breaking the law here.

Did you really type that Buzz??

So can anyone advise me on our rights regarding security cameras in the UK. our house is detached and i have my own cameras positioned low so not to impose over anyone's garden fence ect, however next door has just installed a couple of cameras that are quite high and have clear line of sight into my back garden and possibly our bedroom, one is 3m from our back fence and above it , surly back gardens are a private space not public

i know everyone has the right to protect there home and property with cctv but surly there is limits and back gardens and rear of house are private,

Where do we stand exactly
Go talk to next door and tell them about your concerns, You could also request the footage.

In the guidelines, you are entitled to ask for footage of any camera that overlooks your property (if I remember correctly)

Camera positioning can be very deceiving depending on camera lens. I have this exact configuration 3m from my neighbours fence near 1st floor gutter height, yet can see absolutely nothing past the fence boundary. The fact it is near your fence means nothing as it may not have any view of your side. Worth discussing with your neighbour before doing anything drastic.

In the guidelines, you are entitled to ask for footage of any camera that overlooks your property (if I remember correctly)
I'm unsure about CCTV guidance but I'm sure what your referring to is GDPR where you can make a Subject Access Request for footage but only companies / organisations are covered by GDPR and not the general public

If a back garden is viewable from a public space, if it had no fence or a very low fence then it can also be filmed. There is no expectation of privacy from a public space, you need to create your own privacy. What you can't do is film inside windows or film people doing private things etc. Some of this sort of thing can be a bit of a grey area but I'm sure it's reasonable to request the neighbour to see what the camera is covering and if it's filming inside windows

As already said cameras can be deceiving and what you think might be being filmed might not be so speaking to neighbour and requesting to see what exactly it's covering would be my first course of action

I'm unsure about CCTV guidance but I'm sure what your referring to is GDPR where you can make a Subject Access Request for footage but only companies / organisations are covered by GDPR and not the general public

If a back garden is viewable from a public space, if it had no fence or a very low fence then it can also be filmed. There is no expectation of privacy from a public space, you need to create your own privacy. What you can't do is film inside windows or film people doing private things etc. Some of this sort of thing can be a bit of a grey area but I'm sure it's reasonable to request the neighbour to see what the camera is covering and if it's filming inside windows

As already said cameras can be deceiving and what you think might be being filmed might not be so speaking to neighbour and requesting to see what exactly it's covering would be my first course of action
There are different rules for fixed cctv compared to one that is roaming.

Guidelines V law. very different .But here is another side to think about .Ask them to show you the cameras display as they might be shallow angle types rather than super wide etc /So might not worry you that much. The other benefit is one day you might want their recordings if anything happens !

Guidelines V law. very different .But here is another side to think about .Ask them to show you the cameras display as they might be shallow angle types rather than super wide etc /So might not worry you that much. The other benefit is one day you might want their recordings if anything happens !

Fully agree with this. My cameras cover part of my neighbours drive. Just enough to see if anyone breaks into their car.

And yes, the viewing angle of cameras can vary hugely.

Get them to show you the live feed so you can see exactly what is covered.

My cameras cover some shared access and some of the neighbors drives.
nobody has an issue with them.
in fact the requests for footage of events have always been sorted swiftly and normally end with a 4 pack of beer being sent my way.

i would have no issue with somones camera covering my drive too or front of house as you cannot expect privacy , however the camera in question is a ptz dome and isnt actually pointing into my garden yet, but it can, and it does move and it would be completely intrusive and see my whole private garden and actually into my childrens bedroom if it turned.

My garden is private and completly fenced off, this camera is 4ft above the fence at the bottom of the garden and as i say its a ptz and could look at will, into our garden and bedroom.

so in my view complete invasion of privacy if it was to rotate? which is just a matter of time.

Depending on the camera type .It is possible to create areas of a image that will not show anything . So if they cover a building .Certain window areas can be ""blanked off" from been recorded

Reply to Whats my rights with cctv - UK in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock