Discuss When did I get this old, there’s been a mistake? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Now, I’m only 41 but I just went back on the tools properly last year after 4 years in an office and 9 years before that where I was a supervisor so my time actually fixing stuff was limited. For the first time in a very long time yesterday I was personally responsible for a fairly big repair inside a control cabinet. It required quite a lot of soldering, something I used to think I was quite good at. What’s happened to my eyes people? When I was tinning the wires I couldn’t see them change colour. When I was actually joining the wires I couldn’t see in 3D, everything went flat. After every join I had to stop, blink and refocus to make sure it was done properly. This is what happens to old men, I was 25 about a month ago, I’m sure of it. How has this happened to me? What’s next, a Stana stairlift? Brown slacks along with a brown padded jacket from a market somewhere? Driving *everywhere* at 39 mph and cursing anyone that has the audacity to perform a safe overtake? I feel betrayed and let down by my own body and the natural passage of time. This isn’t on, bring on the pension. At this rate I’ll be drawing it next week anyway. Anyway, there’s no real point to this thread other to let you proper auld yins know I’m sorry for all those years taking the mickey out of your creaking old bones and let you young uns know it really will happen to you, you can’t fight it, you’re already screwed.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat..
Keep saying to the younger ones how quick the last 25yrs have gone, it’s crazy.
With your eyes, have you had them tested? Mine are doing the same but I’ve bit had mine tested ever, did that one at school where read letters.
I bought a pair the other week from boots for £15 and ghetto have made a massive improvement

Sounds like we’re in the same boat..
Keep saying to the younger ones how quick the last 25yrs have gone, it’s crazy.
With your eyes, have you had them tested? Mine are doing the same but I’ve bit had mine tested ever, did that one at school where read letters.
I bought a pair the other week from boots for £15 and ghetto have made a massive improvement
Yeah, I’ve always been short sighted, I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7. Maybe I need bi-focals? Another addition to the brown slacks, eyes that look like saucers if you look at me wrong. A decent headtorch will sort this for now, I just suddenly realised how old I was compared to the guys I work with that’s all.

45 and one of my eyes has developed a little stutter, if that’s the right word. The bottom eyelid feels like it’s vibrating.

I made the mistake of telling my wife who instantly checked with Doctor Google, who diagnosed too much screen time!

I’m an electrician, not a desk jockey looking at a computer all day.
Maybe I need a bigger phone screen... i can feel it starting already.

Creaking bones and going bald. It’s a sign of maturity and experience. Not being “old”

I now need a magnifying glass to see the idents on connectors, when i solder wires to them now..:sob:

The worst thing about getting old!

When did I get this old, there’s been a mistake? 68EE0A30-6C50-422F-A94F-998CF1FD8A2D - EletriciansForums.net

Just turning 40 and I ache a little bit more as each year passes.
Started on the tools aged about 19 when I would rush around like a mad man , fly up and down ladders , scale scaffolding like Spider-Man , crawl about lofts with ease.

Now it takes me 5 minutes just to up and down my tall steps and my shoulders start to ache after making off just 5 lights.

Getting old sucks....

I did have a little chuckle the other day. The DNO came to change the main fuse in a commercial place and I was alongside them changing an RCD in a hager DB. Both were about 45 cm above the floor. I was working cross legged sitting down comfortable while the young men were complaining about their backs working so low. Just yesterday a client who had volunteered to do first fix about 38 years, agreed to go into the loft to feed a switch wire down. He nearly go stuck up there with his "bad back" Moaning and swearing, I had to do it instead. So age has not wearied me! Seems the upcoming generations are aging faster. My Son is receding faster than me. To be fair I did over forty years training in martial arts so maybe that helped me to be more supple and resilient.

I did have a little chuckle the other day. The DNO came to change the main fuse in a commercial place and I was alongside them changing an RCD in a hager DB. Both were about 45 cm above the floor. I was working cross legged sitting down comfortable while the young men were complaining about their backs working so low. Just yesterday a client who had volunteered to do first fix about 38 years, agreed to go into the loft to feed a switch wire down. He nearly go stuck up there with his "bad back" Moaning and swearing, I had to do it instead. So age has not wearied me! Seems the upcoming generations are aging faster. My Son is receding faster than me. To be fair I did over forty years training in martial arts so maybe that helped me to be more supple and resilient.

.....wax on.....wax off...;)

The thing which is most prescient,regarding all the above talk,has not been mentioned.
Lifestyle and diet.... no point whining about bits failing,if you've treated yer body to a selection of non-prescription party narcotics,and then gone to Mac d's ;)

Come on down to me shaolin temple,and get dull :rolleyes::cool:

I remember my old man turning 40 and me laughing at him complaining about his aches and pains. Jokingly I used say to him that when folk reach 60 "really old":D they should be sent to pasture. I remember very clearly turning 40 myself and experiencing those aches and pains my old man suffered.

Now I'm heading towards pasture time :rolleyes: my knees are shot, my eyesight is shot, I ache so much each morning I wish I could just stay in bed. But my brain still fools me into thinking I'm still in my prime.

My old man just smiles and says "I told you so"

Reply to When did I get this old, there’s been a mistake? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock