Discuss When did I get this old, there’s been a mistake? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a Man-Friday to do the donkey work (I'm not allowed to call him a slave any more nowadays..)

We all have to be on our guard,regarding what the latest PC rules are...there are terms,which my sister was instructed to use,as a police officer,when first trained,that would now get her fired:rolleyes:

In truth,your avatar would get you a ban,on most social medias :eek:

The ragist's in our society,always view the worst of meanings,before they judge the person :)

I find if I have any length of time off work, it takes ages for me to get back into it.
I never seem to get back to where I was before I took the time off.
After 5 months off with my broken wrist, my first job back was installation, 7:30am to 6pm.
Have now jumped ship to testing, 7:30am to 4pm.
I hate testing, so am looking for a supervisory role.

Just turning 40 and I ache a little bit more as each year passes.
Started on the tools aged about 19 when I would rush around like a mad man , fly up and down ladders , scale scaffolding like Spider-Man , crawl about lofts with ease.

Now it takes me 5 minutes just to up and down my tall steps and my shoulders start to ache after making off just 5 lights.

Getting old sucks....
yesterday i did 7 600 x 600 LED panels, including flexing up, click flow connectors, 10ft. grid height. took me 5 hours. not bad @ 72, even if i do say so myself. few yarsa go i'd have done 12 in the same timescale.

add to that that the grid was distorted slightly out of true and all panels needed the use of a pry bar to get them in and some ceiling tiles had to be shaved.

And an apprentice?
I explained to mine how I struggle to get up in the morning due to all the aches and pains and am then falling asleep by 9pm. He laughed thinking I was joking.
A year in, he’s falling asleep in his chair by 7pm! As was said before, the young seem to age quicker.

I explained to mine how I struggle to get up in the morning due to all the aches and pains and am then falling asleep by 9pm. He laughed thinking I was joking.
A year in, he’s falling asleep in his chair by 7pm! As was said before, the young seem to age quicker.

In days gone bye it was a standing joke in the opencast mining that it was twelve hours a day , seven days a week - but there was overtime if you wanted it.

In days gone bye it was a standing joke in the opencast mining that it was twelve hours a day , seven days a week - but there was overtime if you wanted it.

Thing was it wasn't a joke, overtime was covering the next blokes shift, this then turned your 12 hours into 24, an if you couldn't get your next one covered, 36.

That's when as maintenance you found a quiet place to rest your eyes for a couple of hours. An hope to god sh*t didn't hit the fan.

Thing was it wasn't a joke, overtime was covering the next blokes shift, this then turned your 12 hours into 24, an if you couldn't get your next one covered, 36.

That's when as maintenance you found a quiet place to rest your eyes for a couple of hours. An hope to god sh*t didn't hit the fan.

Yes , and it was down the road if you didn't 'comply ' with the voluntary helping out. The gaffers made the Gestapo look like kindergarten nurses. And the blokes that missed shifts didn't last long either.

You probably don't need expensive glasses with designer frames from an optician. I buy mine at 2 times magnification from a Chineses seller at £10 for three pairs. At that price, they are pretty much disposable. I also have a three times pair for close-up work like tightening those tiny screws that persist in becoming loose.

Of course, you should get your eyes checked every couple of years, but unless the road signs are getting blurry too, you don't want or need anything sophisticated.

AD92DEB0-D14B-4E61-B337-BD8FCC927F47.jpeg
I had one of mine come out slightly, so the glasses came undone.
I had to take my glasses off to fix it but then couldn't see the screw properly.
Classic 'catch 22' situation....
That’s when you want one of these Old chap!

Reply to When did I get this old, there’s been a mistake? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net