Discuss Where can I buy these in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The customer had an RCD tripping problem. I found it to be with the fountain lights. They are small tube lights (G4) that are actually submerged into the water (see picture). They are attached to a piece of flex.

fountain1.jpgfountain2.jpg

I need to replace the lights with something similar. It doesn't have to be identical, just something that will fit in the bowls of the fountain and can be submerged. I have looked on line but can only find similar in the USA. Does anyone have any links to suitable lights?

Cheers all.

Last edited:
The customer had an RCD tripping problem. I found it to be with the fountain lights. They are small tube lights (G4) that are actually submerged into the water (see picture). They are attached to a piece of flex.

I need to replace the lights with something similar. It doesn't have to be identical, just something that will fit in the bowls of the fountain and can be submerged. I have looked on line but can only find similar in the USA. Does anyone have any links to suitable lights?

Cheers all.
What picture?

I might tend to go for IP68 plinth or marker lights, single direction light beam but should provide a similar effect. I think they come in 19mm wide ones.
I did see those Richard, and they may be what I I go for. However, as you say, they are single direction so they preferable need to be secured so they point in the direction needed. These lights would just be lying in the fountain. I think they may well still give the desired effect though.

Are those lights definately 230v? Are you sure there's no transformer hidden away somewhere?

I’m with Marvo there - I serviced a water feature some years ago and all the luminaries were 12v IP67 (not submerged but very wet) and were run from remote, hefty toroidal transformers away from the wet stuff. Good thing too as it was all stainless steel.

Ooops about to post then suddenly realised that the 12V lights could not cause an RCD trip, sorry, missed the point there, it must be a transformer issue rather than the lights.

I'd suspect they'd be ELV but I've come across G6.35 and G8 lamps in 230v as well as 12v so you never know.

AM1111.jpg

If they're 12v it' highly unlikely it's actually the lights causing the tripping so can't you just replace the transformer?

Well, I think I've made a slight error here then. All the IR tests came back clear (when testing for the tripping RCD problem). I then saw the lights just sitting in the water, there was clearly water inside them and I have jumped to the conclusion it was them that was tripping the RCD. Especially due to the fact that the customer had done some detective work himself and said when he unplugged the fountain the tripping stopped. I shall check the transformer! Feel a bit silly!

I shall swallow my pride though and ask why 12v lights in water will not trip the RCD? If water comes into contact with the phase conductor and makes a connection to earth would there not be leakage current?

If water comes into contact with the phase conductor and makes a connection to earth would there not be leakage current?

• no, because the 12V lights are isolated from the 240V line by the transformer.

OP stated G4 lamps, so would assume they are 12v
G4 lamps are readily available 12V or 220V (or perhaps even 240V if you're feeling lucky). That said I can't say I've ever seen a fitting that uses mains rated G4's they all seem to use G9's.

Reply to Where can I buy these in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net