Discuss Which IET Guidance to buy? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This question may be silly but I need a feedback for who is owning the IET Guidance Notes. I have got the Inspection and Testing already, was looking into Note 1(Selection and Erection) or 5 o 6(Protection Against Electric Shock and Overcurrent).

Can anyone give advices?

Thank you

All of them.

Or rather - which aspect of your knowledge do you want to improve first?

GN3 - GN8 - GN1 tend to be the order most start off as after testing the earthing aspects seem to cause most people problems.

I’ve got Inspection and testing, selection & Erection, and earthing & bonding

As has been said above, 1, 3 & 8 seem to be the popular choices.

GN3 gets the most use out of the 3 to be fair, the others are decent though.

Guidance Note 8.
Thank you .
[automerge]1600453385[/automerge]
All of them.

Or rather - which aspect of your knowledge do you want to improve first?

GN3 - GN8 - GN1 tend to be the order most start off as after testing the earthing aspects seem to cause most people problems.

I am really into fault finding and design. As you correctly said, the earthing aspect is where most of the people are having issues.

Thank you for your reply very helpful!
[automerge]1600453527[/automerge]

Thank you .

Last edited:
Of you're looking at design then I'd say that design guide is a must.

Now, the question is how much of the guidence notes are actually updated (content wise) beyond changing the coloured square and bar on the front cover? They're all at different revisions so it make you ponder; could you get away with having older versions (yellow) and just writing in any changes? Couple of quid versus £30-40

They are all useful. Obviously the 18th regs are essential to have, and GN1-8 serve to make some points far clearer than the often dull wording of the regulations. Very useful in addition are the on-site guide, and the electrical installation design guide.

Just a shame they cost so much!

If you are a member of the IET then you get a discount from their own store, which eases the pain slightly.

They are all useful. Obviously the 18th regs are essential to have, and GN1-8 serve to make some points far clearer than the often dull wording of the regulations. Very useful in addition are the on-site guide, and the electrical installation design guide.

Just a shame they cost so much!

If you are a member of the IET then you get a discount from their own store, which eases the pain slightly.
Thank you.

I have already on board the 18th Edition, On-Site Guide and the design guide plus Part P Building Regulations and GN3. Was looking to expand the Guidance Notes and was asking here for feedbacks regarding the others.

Good point from you thanks a lot!

Reply to Which IET Guidance to buy? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net