Discuss Which of my circuits are RCD protected? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm not a spark, this question may be a bit of a giveaway, but wondering which of the circuits on my board are RCD protected based on this pic?

Is it just the circuits which the RCD is immediately to the right of?

Thanks

20210719_133427.jpg

NOTE: I don't plan on doing any work near this CU, I'm not qualified - I'm just wondering

14 to 10 rcd marked 9 and 8
7 to 3 rcd marked 2 and 1

totally imbalanced though. All the sockets on one rcd… lights on the other.

I’d ask someone qualified if they could swap things over a bit.

14 to 10 rcd marked 9 and 8
7 to 3 rcd marked 2 and 1

totally imbalanced though. All the sockets on one rcd… lights on the other.

I’d ask someone qualified if they could swap things over a bit.

Thanks for the reply mate! Appreciate it.

How do you work that out from looking at it? Do boards work left to right?

And just wondering, why is the imbalance bad?

My question was mainly to check the whole house is RCD protected, glad it is. Thanks again

And just wondering, why is the imbalance bad?
If you have a fault that trips the LH RCD, and it won't reset, you are left without any lights in the whole house. Similarly, if something trips the RH RCD, you won't have a working socket anywhere, except the garage.
Also, the 80A on the RH RCD is the maximum current it can safely carry without being damaged, and the trip currents of all the MCBs fed from it add up to a LOT more than 80A. It's unlikely that 80A will be exceeded, in practice, but it's bad design.
A well designed set up would have, for instance, the bedroom lights on one RCD, and the passageway outside the doors on the other.

PS. Just noticed that you have two electric showers and a cooker on the RH RCD, so it is not at all unlikely that the RCD, and the whole supply to the property will be overloaded. Domestic electricity supplies are not suitable for two electric shower installations.

It’s just the way the internal linkage is made inside, why it reads right to left, no idea.

looking closer at the image, one rcd is 63A, the other is 80… so not so much a problem.
It’s not always possible, but best effort should be taken so that if one rcd trips, it doesn’t take out lights and power in the same room. Yours does this at the moment.
Likewise you don’t want to lose ALL lights altogether, which yours would.
I’d also seperate the cooker (which likely has a socket) and the kitchen socket circuit.

the 63 and 80 are the rated current limit of the devices, they won’t actually trip out of over those values, as a rcd doesn’t have overload protection, just the individual MCBs.

Reply to Which of my circuits are RCD protected? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net