Discuss Who Can Work as an Electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello!

I am looking into avenues into entering the trade, but I feel like all the information I can find online is incredibly convoluted and complicated in regards to who and how to be a 'Qualified Electrician'.

For instance, were I to complete the C&G 2365 NVQ level 3 Diploma/Am2 could I then in theory work as an electrician or domestic installer? I am aware that it's not a good idea due to the huge lack of experience, but is this technically possible?

For instance, what is to stop me from completing these courses, and then completing domestic installations? Would I have to adhere to a particular accreditation body?

I am also in Scotland which makes everything ever more confusing and difficult to fully understand. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am just trying to wrap my head around how the industry works.

Thanks, J

It's the same in Scotland as it is in England, Wales etc.

To do any work as an electrician you have to be competent.

That's actually it!

However, should you need to prove competency, for example if you appear in court following an incident, or for a job etc. They will look for suitable qualifications and experience.

What these ammount to is up to the potential employer, or organisation.

Generally you would need to be aware of
The Wiring regulations & the Building regulations in addition to the knowledge of installation etc.

If you want to do residential work, then you will need to be able to submit notices to the relevant council when you do certain types of work. The way to do this is via a scheme, of which there are several.

Each scheme has requirements for entry, so you need to chose your scheme, and look at their entry requirements.

(There is a link below, follow this and you can access the minimum requirements as published by the iet - but note the scheme has the ultimate decision)

Last edited:
Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for your response!

Thats what seems so confusing, there is no standard for what is considered competent. It is nice to hear someone else explain how unregulated it is.

So effectively, if I was confident in my experience, held several qualifications, passed building regs course and understood how to deal with building warrents, I could generally be considered an electrician?

I am sure there and particular situation that require a formally qualified electrician, but otherwise is that pretty much it?

Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for your response!

Thats what seems so confusing, there is no standard for what is considered competent. It is nice to hear someone else explain how unregulated it is.

So effectively, if I was confident in my experience, held several qualifications, passed building regs course and understood how to deal with building warrents, I could generally be considered an electrician?

I am sure there and particular situation that require a formally qualified electrician, but otherwise is that pretty much it?

There are standards for what is considered the minimum competency - but it depends on the work you want to do, hence the link I provided above.

It is not unregulated!

No just thinking you are competent is not sufficient - in practical terms you need to join a scheme and they have entry qualifications, if you work in industrial rather than domestic, a scheme is not required, but the employer will have their own requirements.

Competent is not a random term it is defined very much on the work you do, and of course covers much more than electrical, although electricians will be focused only on the electrical aspects.

To be an electrician you need to be competent.

Competent is defined.

As stated above the schemes have their own requirements, - links already provided.

You can also link to the minimum standards from that link, which is repeated below

https://electrical.------.org/bs-76...ns/electrotechnical-assessment-specification/

Not sure why but this site appears to be blocking the iet link.

Just follow the path to the document - Current one attached

Attachments

• eas-qualifications-guide-december-2022.pdf
    172.6 KB · Views: 20
There are standards for what is considered the minimum competency - but it depends on the work you want to do, hence the link I provided above.

It is not unregulated!

No just thinking you are competent is not sufficient - in practical terms you need to join a scheme and they have entry qualifications, if you work in industrial rather than domestic, a scheme is not required, but the employer will have their own requirements.

Competent is not a random term it is defined very much on the work you do, and of course covers much more than electrical, although electricians will be focused only on the electrical aspects.

To be an electrician you need to be competent.

Competent is defined.
I missspoke in my prior post. I understand what you are saying. I meant I am confident in my experience and I can prove my competence to a scheme then I could be consider capable of doing particular electrical jobs.

I mean to say that there are several competency schemes to apply for which make the standard of competency cary slightly between organizations. (Not unregulated).

Appreciate the help!

I missspoke in my prior post. I understand what you are saying. I meant I am confident in my experience and I can prove my competence to a scheme then I could be consider capable of doing particular electrical jobs.

I mean to say that there are several competency schemes to apply for which make the standard of competency cary slightly between organizations. (Not unregulated).

Appreciate the help!

Yes, you need to prove competency to the particular scheme, for the particular work you want to do.

Domestic is usually A1.1 or A1.4

You would need more experience to add A2.1

There are two options really, you get the qualifications current at the time as described above and suitable levels of experience, or you do some version of neither and see where it takes you, electricians are really all based on this (myself included) a good tell is if NAPIT niceic etc will take you based on that mix, if they won't, then you'll need more of the qualls, the learning or both. There is no black and white, but there is a level you need to attain, an electrician could tell you after you work with them for a week or so, as they would be able to assess where you are, if you have to ask...you probably aren't quite there.

Reply to Who Can Work as an Electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock