Discuss Who,s allowed to do what! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnnyb

Guys an Girls Don,t know if this is a regional thing or what, but just take this as the scenario. Un registered Electrician wanting a certifate for work done, and not in a position to give a cert. He may well be a very good spark and you may know him and his standards are good. We have been strongly told by Niecc that in NO way can we test his work and sign it off with a cert, as we did,nt do the initial install. Is this a UK veiw or just a Regional thing, we are in Manchester.

Hey jonny.

The one and only way that you could do it is a periodic inspection report.

It's the same all over, no differences.

Hi,

I'd be interested in answers to this question as well.

If we are fully qualified to test and inspect ie. 2391/ part p scheme approved, why can't we test new installations (for

a fee of course) done by other electricians?

Lets face it, if you notify the work and the council send a contractor out to inspect/test your installs, isn't this exactly

what he is doing??? How do they get away with it.

And if you own a small electrical firm employing say 5 sparks, you can inspect, test and sign off their work as it's done

by your firm - they don't all have to register with a scheme!

So what's the difference?

I think it's all to do with the cash - scheme providers want as many people having to sign on with them as possible and

the local councils want to control fees for test/inspecting so they don't want any competition on pricing!!

Once again we're getting screwed!

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Wayne

No, i was asking a legitimate Q, on ,can or can you not sign another job, done by someone else off or not, some firms do, we don,t, whats the answer? thats why i am asking you all, i am not relating it to anyone other thread personally, just want to know thats all.

A lot of councils dont want to get involved in it at all, because of the poor implementation of it from the start.

A contractor instructed by any LABC to test and certify work will visit at every stage of the installation, not just when its all finished to write up test results.

Its not a lot different from a builder having to do the same at various stages of a build.

No, i was asking a legitimate Q, on ,can or can you not sign another job, done by someone else off or not, some firms do, we don,t, whats the answer? thats why i am asking you all, i am not relating it to anyone other thread personally, just want to know thats all.

NO. The government does not allow it UNLESS it goes through LABC.

Double edged sword im afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Johnnyb,

I think Jasons6930 answered your question - it's a government thing (country wide) - no you can't.

Cheers

Wayne

In a word no. As I said before the only way one contractor can test another contractors work is a periodic inspection report.

Cheers.

Take all your points ,but i agree as well with Wayne, in this "free and democratic country of ours" we pay the fees to be Competent Electricians paying out good money to be trained and certified only to be stopped by the very scheme provider of earning money off other Electricians who have NOT spent the time and effort to pass exams etc therefore stopping me doing my job of being a Competent Approved Electrician,

But like you mentioned Jason, if you go onto the site every now and then like you would if a building was been built, you would see the standard, and of course charge for the privilige accordingly, whats up with that, they are happy, and you are happy.

I still don't see the big problem -

You go along and visually inspect the first fix - then return and inspect/test the final installation, submit your invoice- job done.

You would do exactly the same thing if you employed a few sparks and sent out a few vans every day
to cover your workload - you couldn't oversee every installation from start to finish.

Or is my inexperience showing through here??:confused:

Wayne

If you work for the Company and you have the 2391 and 17th whats stopping your gaffer saying right sixfingers go to Buckingham Palace where Joe Bloggs is doing an install and either do some tests if need be or have a look at the standard of his/hers work and report back, you get paid the firm get paid off Joe Bloggs. Thats simple init.

Im afraid chaps i dont have the answer.

If you worked for a company then the QS takes the responsibility to make sure the work is up to standard.

Dont forget its YOUR insurance and shoulders that it would all land on if it ever came to court for whatever reasons. If you work for a company then its theirs.

I believe that if LABC instruct the tests then the buck stops with them and its their responsibility.

Clear as mud innit?:rolleyes:

IMO it's safer not to get involved in the first place.

It's a PIR or nothing for me.

Am i a minority here or what, all i am saying is WHY do the Niecc stop us testing other peoples installs, and i think Wayne hit the nail on the head £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ thats why, they want everybodies money off them individually, not bothered about the £1000,s you have spent on test equipment/ exams/ time off getting those exams, thats it, now does no one agree with that.

Am i a minority here or what, all i am saying is WHY do the Niecc stop us testing other peoples installs, and i think Wayne hit the nail on the head £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ thats why, they want everybodies money off them individually, not bothered about the £1000,s you have spent on test equipment/ exams/ time off getting those exams, thats it, now does no one agree with that.

Its NOT the NICEIC that dont allow it, its the government and Part P.

None of the bodies allow us to do it.

READ THIS: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Page 12 SEC 1.28

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Who,s allowed to do what! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock