Discuss Who,s allowed to do what! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In all honesty i have done a couple, but i have been involved at every stage of the install, mainly because i was on site doing other things.

As i said, if you are happy to sign off others work then its up to you.

It WILL be your problem if it all goes pear shaped as your name is on the cert.

Jason, earlier on i mentioned, when we asked our NIECC inspector this very Q, his reply was a very strict "absolutely no way can we test anybody elses installs, and certify that work, " although we would make regular visits to site, as would our LABC, whats the difference between them and us, i think you in some way call it discrimination, or is that a little unfair? I know whats Lenny is saying and yourself don,t get involved with other peoples work, but as long as that other work is OK and passed by Ourselves whats wrong in that. This isn,t a scenario, but i do know some older sparks than myself and i am 50 that cannot be even bothered going back to college, and there work is 1st class boys, what about them, why do you not think that is it wrong for me to go to site regulary and inspect therework and they pay me for the privilige, what do you see wrong in that?

Johnny,

I personally dont have a problem with it at all!!!

I am just saying that it isnt allowed, but that doesnt stop it happening.

I also understand 100% what you are saying but i dont make the rules:)

In our eyes nothing. I feel as long as you are happy to do it then it should be allowed but on your head be it.
Unfortunately the powers that be think otherwise and, in a way it is a form of discrimination they can do it why cant we?? As you've said we pay all this money to become qualified and to have membership of whichever scheme and it does seem unfair, but I dont write the regs and it's just not permitted

Personally I dont think I could anyway, I'd be terrible if I had to go and inspect the job at various stages I'd be checking absolutely everything at least twice so in the end it would be like I was doing a periodic anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to change the rules then, who bloomin makes them then, ? goin countin them sheep boys its hard gettin 100 in the bedroom. See Ya All Tomoz ps who does make them rules, EH!

In our eyes nothing. I feel as long as you are happy to do it then it should be allowed but on your head be it.
Unfortunately the powers that be think otherwise and, in a way it is a form of discrimination they can do it why cant we?? As you've said we pay all this money to become qualified and to have membership of whichever scheme and it does seem unfair, but I dont write the regs and it's just not permitted

Personally I dont think I could anyway, I'd be terrible if I had to go and inspect the job at various stages I'd be checking absolutely everything at least twice so in the end it would be like I was doing a periodic anyway.

Agree 100% the way i see it is if you want to inspect/test etc someone elses work then you should be able to ! its our quals/tools/testers etc etc but i couldnt as its not only me it affects its my family if anything happens like ive checked their install then whilst putting floorboards etc back they change their minds and do something diff then i have to prove it was altered ! if anything goes wrong. To be honest id only do it for trusted friends and family in this climate we the contractors have to be very carefull as even if we do an install and after we have tested/inspected/issued cert someone could then think irll just have a look at how thats wired so next time i can have a go etc etc and remove something and reconnect it wrong we have to prove we didnt do it ! its going such a way that i photograph everything and file the pics at the end of every job with paperwork etc its a bit extream but at least id have a good case against the beak !
Regards
Kung.

I agree with Kung - when I finally get round to testing and inspecting

I will be doing exactly that - digital photos of everything I test/inspect - in

this day and age it's easy enough - then file the photos with copies of all

other paperwork for that job.

That way if anyone changes anything after you've signed it off you

can prove it wasn't passed in that condition.

Wayne

Also the niceic say you have to be trading for at least six months before you apply, what does the LABC expect new start ups to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys an Girls Don,t know if this is a regional thing or what, but just take this as the scenario. Un registered Electrician wanting a certifate for work done, and not in a position to give a cert. He may well be a very good spark and you may know him and his standards are good. We have been strongly told by Niecc that in NO way can we test his work and sign it off with a cert, as we did,nt do the initial install. Is this a UK veiw or just a Regional thing, we are in Manchester.

Hi
The way round the system is that you sign contracts with this person then you are not subcontracting the work out, he is employed.

Big Companies who are not NIC REG use this system.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to Who,s allowed to do what! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock