Discuss Who to complain to???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davidlee1983

Need help, this is gentoo contractors work after a combi boiler was installed. This job was bought off as complete, could you explain in detail all that is wrong. It is located below the stairs, in a cupboard that was in constant use and is easy to access. We have children living with us 11, 9 and 11 months. I would expect that people would lose there jobs for such shoddy workmanship, people need more respect for themself. The paperwork left for this work was addressed to a house one street over with the same number. Please and Thankyou in advance.

View attachment 35306

View attachment 35307

There may be a periodic inspection date sticker on the Consumer unit that may have the logo of the competent person scheme who registers the installation company and can be contacted to assess your concerns

There seems to be issues of safety of persons relating to the workmanship and the material used
The installation would need on site inspection to determine anything else
Building control at your local council would be interested if the work is notifiable,it seems a replacement consumer unit has been installed (which is notafiable work),if so,the council may need to be your first port of call

The consumer unit should be non combustible to satisfy the latest amendment to BS 7671, the reason the regulation for consumer units was changed was they didn't contain any potential fires and there were cases of plastic boards mounted under stairways catching fire and taking out the main escape route from the building.

Other things, from what I can make out, aren't immediately dangerous but more untidy with potential to become a problem. The length of the consumer tails, the enclosure and routing of cables etc.

What work did they do , When changing the boiler,
Agree with Dave If that is a new consumer unit then is does not comply to the current regulations
Does the paper work haev the NICEIC Logo on it , If so you can complain to them

I haven't seen an earthing arrangement like that before. To the members... Is it TNS or TNCS or both??

You sound very cross to me. What is your problem(s) with the work? Just interested as to how you see it. And it would help to detail exactly what work they did!

Unsupported cables is not good. i.e. above the consumer unit, and the tails. It looks like it could have been done neater (as above stated). Personally I would be ashamed to leave a job like that. I am a bit worried by the "supply for outhouse" it looks like it is going outside in the wrong type of cable. What is it actually supplying and where is it going to? Is it attached to the house or away from the house? A photo of its route would be good. Also a photo of the top and bottom of the consumer unit would help, not sure if the cables have been terminated at the box correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to who to complain to, the contractor undertaking the work in the first instance. Failing an equitable resolution you can escalate this. I do not have much hope of your complaining to NICEIC I have to say. You will likely be directed to CAB in the absence of the contractor remedying any problems.

Tails are doing my head. Fully accessible location and fully unsecured. The kids'll be swinging off them. I would've :)

Edit : Just commenting on what I see in the pic, and not about how things may have got that way or who is to fix.

Last edited:
I do think we need to be a little less derogatory of this particular installer. It may be, until we are told otherwise, that they weren't the installers, but perhaps have carried out an EICR?

OP can you just be clearer, did this company install the consumer unit (CU) etc, on the date shown on the lid of the CU?

Is all the work complete? Just wondering if the excessive lengths of tails is indicative of some future re positioning or trunking etc.

Reply to Who to complain to???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net