NICEIC Certification Scheme Who's best and why ? ...

Discuss Who's best and why ? ... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys... Just about to sign up to a new scheme ... And was wandering who to go with ... NICEIC being the favourite for many reasons but also the most expensive ... Has anyone got any recommendations regards other schemes .. thanks

Well you got two options in real terms.
NICEIC /ELECSA are basically the same scheme, both run by Certsure, just different logo and paperwork, same fees, same assessors and same annual fees.
NAPIT now runs Stroma Part P scheme and until recently were not taking any new members so may find its a case of the NICEIC/ELECSA OR NAPIT.
I only have other peoples words to go by on this but NAPIT have been known to be a bit stricter on the entry requirements where as NICEIC are a bit more relaxed if thats the way to phrase it.
Stroma were the cheapest by far but now they have been taken over by NAPIT I would nto be surprised to see the fees increase to be on par with NAPIT fees.
You could for a time I believe unless I am mistaken notify jobs via the ECA but think this was quite an expensive way to do it.

Hey .. thanks .. it looks like NICEIC is the way forward .. do you know the assesments are like?
Your first is half a day. Will go over the. Certification process and how to notify and when.
Go over the regs briefly, might ask some questions but nothing too hard.
Will ask go see you insurance and calibration certificate for your MFT.
You need a couple of books and documents. They give you a list on the NICEIC website.
You need a job to show them such as a new circuit or fuse board change. Can be your own house for the first assessment. You will be asked to isolate the board/circuit and demo some testing.
At the end of the day they are not there to catch you out they want you to join unless you are a muppet. As they ultimately want your money!
Only ever heard of one person failing an assessment and that was because his work was awful.

I only have other peoples words to go by on this but NAPIT have been known to be a bit stricter on the entry requirements where as NICEIC are a bit more relaxed if thats the way to phrase it.
I think that's only true of the Domestic Installer Scheme. The Approved Contractor Scheme is much less relaxed.

Your first is half a day. Will go over the. Certification process and how to notify and when.
Go over the regs briefly, might ask some questions but nothing too hard.
Will ask go see you insurance and calibration certificate for your MFT.
You need a couple of books and documents. They give you a list on the NICEIC website.
You need a job to show them such as a new circuit or fuse board change. Can be your own house for the first assessment. You will be asked to isolate the board/circuit and demo some testing.
At the end of the day they are not there to catch you out they want you to join unless you are a muppet. As they ultimately want your money!
Only ever heard of one person failing an assessment and that was because his work was awful.
NICEIC Approved Contractor is a full day, and will require a minimum of three site visits. (Used to be five.)

That's only for domestic installer registration, approved contractor is a full day.
[automerge]1588263411[/automerge]
NICEIC Approved Contractor is a full day, and will require a minimum of three site visits. (Used to be five.)

Technically its 3 jobs rather than 3 sites.
Our last assement we looked at two different jobs on the same large site and they were happy with that.

Technically its 3 jobs rather than 3 sites.
Our last assement we looked at two different jobs on the same large site and they were happy with that.
Yes true, and fair point. They'd generally prefer them across different sites to see a fair sample but of course a contractor might be doing a large job across a single site for most or all of the year. So as I say it's a fair clarification.

Can anyone please tell me with either of these two schemes (NICEIC or NAPIT) can you carry out EICR's & Third party certification? If so what are the rough costs? Thanks in advance.
NICEIC thankfully do not allow 3rd party certification, not sure about Napit.
You can carry out EiCR’s without being a member of a CPS, you just need the required insurances etc.

Can anyone please tell me with either of these two schemes (NICEIC or NAPIT) can you carry out EICR's & Third party certification? If so what are the rough costs? Thanks in advance.
Stroma allowed it, not sure if that’s changed now Napit is running the show......to be honest I’ve been with stroma for a few years now and although technically could 3rd party work it has never appealed to me, so wouldn’t be a factor when deciding who to go with....

Thanks for the replies. So obviously with NICEIC they are clear with their DI and AC schemes. Are NAPIT the same in that there are 2 separate schemes? Or is it one scope that covers all bases eg- domestic and commercial?

Reply to Who's best and why ? ... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock