Discuss Why doesn't my Security Light work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a Security Light on my patio and until recently it worked fine.
It stopped working and I couldn't decide if it was the LED Floodlight or the separate PIR that had stopped working so I replaced both.
I checked them out first, connected them up and they work fine on my workbench, but then I install them outside and they won't work.
I've attached a wiring diagram showing how they are connected.
It all seems straight forward and the wiring is exactly the same as the old set-up so I'm at a loss as to why they don't operate.
Any useful ideas?

Attachments

• Security Light 01.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
If they work on a bench, from a different supply, then it's neither the LED light or PIR, it's a fault on the supply from within the house.
Have you checked you have both Live and Neutral (and earth) at the PiR position on the property and that the switched Live and the Neutral are continuous to the LED light,?

Have you tested the old light and PIR on the bench?

If they work on a bench, from a different supply, then it's neither the LED light or PIR, it's a fault on the supply from within the house.
Have you checked you have both Live and Neutral (and earth) at the PiR position on the property and that the switched Live and the Neutral are continuous to the LED light,?

Have you tested the old light and PIR on the bench?
To answer your two questions:
1. Yes, I've tested the mains supply to the outside world and it appears to be OK - my AVO tells me it is anyway.
I did wonder if it's my connections at the choccy block in the junction box and/or the PIR; i.e. I'd screwed onto insulation instead of cable, so I've undone everything and checked the screws are clamping onto cable and not insulation. I've even tinned the cable ends so they're solid instead of just twisting the cable cores.
2. When I connected up the old system on the workbench the PIR worked OK with the new flood, but the old flood didn't work - even when connected directly to a supply rather than through the PIR so I guess it was the flood at fault, but I happened to have a brand new, still in the box, PIR available, that's why I changed both.

Reply to Why doesn't my Security Light work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net