Discuss why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nope,no-ones got it.It was because apprentices didnt have torches or led's and had to be near the window to see those microscopic brass slotted screws.Those years on time-team were not wasted......:conehead:

But they did have candles stuck to their forehead with hot wax.

No electrical but following the same privacy rule as above,

Another one you don't always see nowadays is doors to rooms were always hung so they hid the view into the room when the door was partly open.

Another reason could be the flames being pushed away from you when the room is burning,rather than sucking them into your nostrils when the door is hung opposite :sweatdrop: :ack2::ack2::ack2:

well, judging by your avatar, it's not surprising they stopped doing that.

and another thing with older (victorian) houses n all....is the way bedroom doors always opened outwards into the room....so if a lady was in the buff.....you wouldn`t see nowt...mind you , the ivy leaf would be enough anyway.....

I always thought it was because in yesteryear folks used to have clothes dryers and vegetable hangers and stuff in the middle of the room so the light was always offset. Might be a load of tripe though.

that is one nice pooch. can he get channel 5 on those ears?

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought it was because in yesteryear folks used to have clothes dryers and vegetable hangers and stuff in the middle of the room so the light was always offset. Might be a load of tripe though.

it certainly is.

Yes,in old times it was a pain battling your way past the onions and grandpas Long Johns just to get to bed.then find the slugs had the same idea.
Some quaint ideas of old times there K
:sleep1::smile:

we were posh. the clothes driers and veg. racks were in the kitchen not the bedrooms. tin bath in the scullery, hung on a nail on the back door all week. saturday night, kettles on the fire/aga. kids in first, then mother, then father. but that was just in winter time. april through september was a hosepipe in the back yard.

No electrical but following the same privacy rule as above,

Another one you don't always see nowadays is doors to rooms were always hung so they hid the view into the room when the door was partly open.

Now they are hung the other way to make the rooms look bigger when you sell the house.

we were posh. the clothes driers and veg. racks were in the kitchen not the bedrooms. tin bath in the scullery, hung on a nail on the back door all week. saturday night, kettles on the fire/aga. kids in first, then mother, then father. but that was just in winter time. april through september was a hosepipe in the back yard.
Hosepipe? We should have been so lucky...

Cue Monty Python...

was it like ours?

why in old houses did they..... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
i keep telling her to grease the gears.

Up until 1980 my nan had a twin tub and a mangle. Many happy days getting my fingers trapped in that.

Reply to why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock