Discuss Why would the Main breaker trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently installed a photovoltaic solar system for a customer but there seems to be a problem with on of the breakers.
Here is a bit of context: The panelboard is a 100A main/125A bus 3ph 480V. The sum of the breakers is 120A (30,30,30,15,15) and each breaker is connected to an inverter.

What happened was when we installed the most recent 15A inverter, the breaker almost immediately tripped and the inverter was virtually destroyed. We quickly found that the inverter was actually a 208V, not 480V... We then replaced it with the correct inverter and reset the breaker. This worked fine and the system ran smoothly for about 4 months. But just a few days ago the breaker again tripped but this time tripped the main breaker along with it, and again damaging the inverter. Now we are stuck thinking why this happened.

Right now we have a few ideas but are not quite sure:
Is the sum of all the breakers too high for the panel to handle?
Or maybe the breaker was damaged and weakened the first time and finally completely failed the second time?

I recently installed a photovoltaic solar system for a customer but there seems to be a problem with on of the breakers.
Here is a bit of context: The panelboard is a 100A main/125A bus 3ph 480V. The sum of the breakers is 120A (30,30,30,15,15) and each breaker is connected to an inverter.

What happened was when we installed the most recent 15A inverter, the breaker almost immediately tripped and the inverter was virtually destroyed. We quickly found that the inverter was actually a 208V, not 480V... We then replaced it with the correct inverter and reset the breaker. This worked fine and the system ran smoothly for about 4 months. But just a few days ago the breaker again tripped but this time tripped the main breaker along with it, and again damaging the inverter. Now we are stuck thinking why this happened.

Or maybe the breaker was damaged and weakened the first time and finally completely failed the second time?
What solar experience or, qualifications do you currently posses Epaday?

What solar experience or, qualifications do you currently posses Epaday?
I have been a solar system designer for nearly 3 years, this is one of our larger 3ph projects. Unfortunately our head electrician left the company since the initial install of this project.

Ep I have seen breakers that won’t trip even it went phase to phase so yes that’s possible. When it comes to sizing breakers and you look in the panel and start adding the sum of all the breakers exceed the main breaker is because what you have what is called a calculated load ( breakers ) and then you have connected loads on an average day your panel is probably pulling 30 amps because all the breakers are not pulling current at the same time. As with the problem that’s causing the inverter to fry and I’m assuming it’s the same one something just isn’t wired right. I don’t know enough about solar work to advise you but we have a solar power forum. They should be able to help you sorry

It's far more likely that a fault occurred in the inverter which caused an overcurrent which tripped the breakers, not a tripping breaker causing the inverter to develop a fault.

It is likely that both breakers operated due to a lack of selectivity/discrimination.

Reply to Why would the Main breaker trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock