Discuss Wi-fi reversing camera in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Bought one of these things thinking it would be simpler than running a signal line from the back of the van.

The instruction are written in translated Chinese, and my “Chinglish” isn’t so good.

So I’ve got a red, yellow and black wire at the camera. Connected red and black to + and - of reversing light. Yellow is not attached to anything.
With ignition on(but engine not running) I get the image on my iPad, which I’m going to be using as the screen. As soon as I start the engine, the Wi-fi is disrupted and I lose signal.

I’m thinking the red needs power all the time, and the yellow is the signal that I’m reversing. But it works when stationary, why not when moving??

Wi-fi reversing camera AD221F62-EE24-4DFE-A52E-C54759E963F4 - EletriciansForums.net
Wi-fi reversing camera 3DF693FD-3D36-4E19-AD8A-B283E0B2D62D - EletriciansForums.net

I posted photos of the instructions.
Thinking it over in my head, when I turn the key to start the engine, there’s a momentary cut in power to the reversing lights... enough to disrupt the power to the cam, and therefor the Wi-fi.
Thinking some interference? But it’s at the wrong end of the van to be affected by moving engine parts

Maybe yellow is to trigger it from the reversing light feed. Where's page 4?

Where's page 4?

Isn't page 4 the first pic, top? Begins with "12V+ positive,"...
I'm presuming the manual is 1 sheet. The bottom pic is the reverse side of the top pic.

Pages 4,1,2,3. It’s a double sided paper folded in half to make a book.

yes. Yellow says it’s reversing signal, so how does it work without this connected?

but only works when engine isn’t running

I might try connecting both red and yellow to reversing lamp +ve

Isn't page 4 the first pic, top? Begins with "12V+ positive,"...
I'm presuming the manual is 1 sheet. The bottom pic is the reverse side of the top pic.

Strange, I couldn't see that earlier!

Bad photo. The 4 and the 1 aren’t showing

I couldn't even see both pages earlier. Not sure why.

Anyway, I would definitely try connecting both yellow and red to +12V. Worth a go. What about a large value electrolytic capacitor right at the camera end of the supply cables?

i powered my rev. cam from the rear screen demister, so that i could see behing even when not reversing. this means that any muppet runs into back of me gets on candid camera.

My van doesn’t have a rear window, so no rear demister. Although my old van, the van was powered all the time direct from the screen on the dash.

ok.... the only permanent power at the rear is the central locking.
I have driving lamps at front on all the time, but nothing at rear. I suppose I could power from headlights/ taillights, and only reverse with lights on??
Not even a 12v socket in back.
Maybe get a feed from the ceiling lights in the back?

roof light has a permanent +ve. so the camera would be powered when you are in bed.

Update.
I’ve connected both red and yellow now to the tail light. So I can have it up and running before reversing.
mice also tagged the black to the ground of the vehicle, rather than the earth in the wiring loom going to the lights.
Multimeter reads +12v on the line, just what I need.

same thing. Works with the light on, but not when the engine is running.

must be some interference.
there is a little antennae from the camera, but only about 6 inches. Is it possible to extend this and run it up the inside of rear door?

Update.
I’ve connected both red and yellow now to the tail light. So I can have it up and running before reversing.
mice also tagged the black to the ground of the vehicle, rather than the earth in the wiring loom going to the lights.
Multimeter reads +12v on the line, just what I need.

same thing. Works with the light on, but not when the engine is running.

must be some interference.
there is a little antennae from the camera, but only about 6 inches. Is it possible to extend this and run it up the inside of rear door?
they are looking for peaple like you in China. How to build transformers hey bumble bee.lol.

Has the van got a full steel bulkhead?

Maybe with the engine running, start with the iPad near the camera, assuming it works there, work away from it and see where you loose the signal.

Top Tip, don't have engine running, van in reverse whilst standing at the back..

Its a plastic bulkhead.
Not using the reverse line now, going on tail lights.
It works fine when the engine is NOT running.

Could the voltage to the lights be less than 12v after the engine starts, thus dropping the feed to the camera (not enough voltage)

I did have it working ONCE yesterday, with engine running, when it was still connected to reverse, but i cant repeat it.

I'd still try a high value electrolytic capacitor as close as you can to the camera. As a reservoir to help during the dip when the starter takes it's current.

Reply to Wi-fi reversing camera in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock