Discuss WIFI booster that actually works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys

short and simple, wifi hub downstairs with weak signal reaching the 3rd floor.

I have not used a booster that utilizes the final socket circuit cabling before, are they any good or would anyone recommend something else?

If it is for home I have just got a TP link plug in booster as my new tv and blue ray player kept losing the connection, £14.99 and really works.

I've used the wired version. And recommended them to others with excellent results.

The type that you connect Ethernet cable at both ends.
Don't see why the wifi option would be any less beneficial.

I used to use devolo ones before I connected up our network ....

They are fine and you can get units which offer hard wired connections and wifi

Just be aware that RCD's do impair performance

TP Link Powerline Adaptors seem to work well. Have used them to put Wifi in a couple of garages and don't seem to have any issues going through different RCD's.

Also use the Booster at home but it's using a hard wired ethernet connection to extend the wifi

wires to the loft is not an option

What do you need wired to the loft for?

The power line adapters just work over the electric cables, one at the hub and one at the device it supplied, except each adapters has an Ethernet connection to link to the device at one end and the hub or port at the other.

Get good signal with them, I have one since BT Vision launched and they came free, but use a wire, so the wifi ones must be good too, if they've been around this long the tech is bound to be good.

I've got a combination of powerline and wifi repeaters. Both TP Link. The powerline is for a network printer as it doesn't have wifi built in. The wifi booster is upstairs for kids bedrooms, but not sure if its actually doing anything.
Ive used the booster in another house that didn't have a working phoneline. I was picking up a weak BT Hub signal from across the road. The booster gave me enough to connect and use BT's public hotspot. Wasn't 100%. Needed reset a few times to get a stable connection... but that might have been interference, traffic, whatever.

I had no joy using powerline adapters when I tried to get a signal to the log cabin at the bottom of the garden (it's on a separate consumer unit so that's maybe why) but this repeater worked a treat:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DP12RH4/

I don't know how it would work through the walls of a house rather than through fresh air, but as it's from Amazon if it doesn't work for you, you can return it for a refund with no quibbling.

Hope that helps.

Reply to WIFI booster that actually works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net