Discuss Will you be having the vaccine? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Will you have the Covid 19 vaccine

• Yes

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
I think this is a normal thing that happens with any medicine or vaccine. Headlines are written to make you think it’s unusual and you should be suspicious.

I will be having it. I’m in the 45- 50 age range, so it will be well tested before I get any.
It's not a usual thing unless you sign up to take part in a drug trial.

I had my flu jab yesterday for the first time ever and will have the covid jab when it comes. It's not like it's a new technology, don't they just inject you with a dead fragment of the virus, which jump starts your immune system into making antibodies against the virus?

Maybe @Vortigern can point out any errors in my simplified explanation?

I have always turned down the offer of Flu jab over the years and firmly believe that we are too quick to get a jab for everything under the sun instead of letting our body immune system fight against bugs !!
I appreciate that the COVID 19 is a different cattle of fish and a lot of people have died due to it !

However how many covid 19 deaths has there been on a death certificate that may not have actually been the case ? After all if they had a positive test within 28 days of dying they were automatically recorded as dying from it regardless of any other ailment.

I won't be jumping to the front of the queue for it !!

...letting our body immune system fight against bugs !!
That's... how vaccines work. Including the flu jab you so assiduously avoid. They don't pump you full of drug reservoirs ready to be released in an infection, they give your natural immune system a sneak peak of the virus so when the real deal shows up you can get right to fighting it without giving it a head start on wrecking the joint while your immune system mulls over its response.

Edit: I do apologise in advance to anyone who feels a bit personally targeted by any of my responses in here. Anti-vaxxers are the one stripe of conspiracy nuts who really get my goat. Flat-earthers are pathetic and funny, but medical misinformation is actively dangerous to society.

That's... how vaccines work. Including the flu jab you so assiduously avoid. They don't pump you full of drug reservoirs ready to be released in an infection, they give your natural immune system a sneak peak of the virus so when the real deal shows up you can get right to fighting it without giving it a head start on wrecking the joint while your immune system mulls over its response.

Edit: I do apologise in advance to anyone who feels a bit personally targeted by any of my responses in here. Anti-vaxxers are the one stripe of conspiracy nuts who really get my goat. Flat-earthers are pathetic and funny, but medical misinformation is actively dangerous to society.

Facebook and YouTube seem to be full of these people unfortunately. And an annoying rise in the anti-mask demonstrations, often led by Piers Corbyn, who surely must have something better to do?

Oooh, little bit of politics ladies and gentlemen.

I'm certainly not Anti anything ! I have every respect for anyone making a decision about what/why they do or don't do something.
I don't attempt to force or encourage my views on anyone, We live in a free democratic society (at least I believe we do) whereby people can make good/bad judgements without fear. Provided those making the decision are aware of all the facts and of sound mind when doing so then I don't have a problem with that.

I'm certainly not Anti anything ! I have every respect for anyone making a decision about what/why they do or don't do something.
I don't attempt to force or encourage my views on anyone, We live in a free democratic society (at least I believe we do) whereby people can make good/bad judgements without fear. Provided those making the decision are aware of all the facts and of sound mind when doing so then I don't have a problem with that.

Absolutely. People are free to make their own decision.

Traditionally that would be the norm, but many of the vaccines under development (and some of those ready to roll out) are manufactured in a way that is relatively new - completey new when it comes to licensed vaccines. in fact. Take a look at the link I've posted on the last page.

I get your ire against conspiracy theorists and anti-vaccination types, who might protest simply because they can, but we are in relatively uncharted territory here. That's not to say these vaccines wont be completely safe, but it's fair to point out that history has provided a (relatively small) number of unfortunate precidents where innoculations are concerned. I do think that anyone who might be at particular risk from Covid-19 would be well advised to get themselves vaccinated as these groups stand a very good chance of serious effects or death from the virus.

It may be interesting to know what other, more established vaccines have as a success rate, as this one has been touted to be over 95%.... Is something that has been around for years maybe only 94%??

I believe the Oxford vaccine is easier to store, isn’t a “new” technology, and the govt is ordering many more doses.
Is the Pfizer one just a “make do” until the Oxford one is ready?

It would be very interesting if this vaccine is the “cure for the common cold” that has alluded us for so long.

As I've already had covid and lived to tell the tell the tale, I would hopefully trust that my immune system is capable of fu*k*ng it off if it gets me again. No jab for me.

I think that the anti-bodies for the virus have gone from your system after about 3 months.

I think that the anti-bodies for the virus have gone from your system after about 3 months.
Maybe what is required is a little grain of rice sized injection in your arm, like the contraceptive jab some people have, a slow release thing that keeps the body primed to fight covid.
So simple, I should have been a medical scientist not a sparky!!

Anyway, it would drive the conspiracy theorists nuts.

COVID won’t be going away, so it may not kill me at 39 but I’m sure it will have serious consequences at 79 and to an older age group I come into contact with. So yes , Ill taking it.

and the govt is ordering many more doses.
Is the Pfizer one just a “make do” until the Oxford one is ready?
The U.K Government have pre ordered most ( 6 ) if not all of the Vaccines, on condition they work.
The Oxford one, UK Gov partly financed the research, (£65m)
At the time no one knew whether any would work in trials or get approval.

It's still no known whether any or all will work in the whole population and whether any one of them may work better for different ages or groups.

The Pfizer vaccine arrived in the U.K yesterday and is on it's way or is now already at 50 Hospitals being used to store and administer it to Healthcare workers initially.
It will only be for people who can walk in to one of the Hospitals.

It's unlikey it will be used in Care homes, unless they can crack the storage / moving it around issue, that will be for the Oxford one

Reply to Will you be having the vaccine? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net