Discuss Wilo Pump Capacitor Replacement in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marko!

-
Reaction score
Hi All, new member here.
I have a Wilo Gold RS50 pump fitted to a solar thermal system. I suspect the capacitor is faulty and wish to replace it. However, I cannot see the method to disconnect one of the capacitor leads (sited between the L & N connections). It is very tight and I don't want to damage the connection such that I cannot install the new one.
The other capacitor lead is held in with a clip and is easy to remove.
Any advice appreciated.

maybe cut the lead/s and joint to new cap?

Unlikely OP will have meter which measures capacitance. OP, Remove the screw at front of pump with large flat screwdriver. Some water will run out so have a towel. With pump powered turn the shaft clockwise with screwdriver. If it spins up, replace capacitor.

Unlikely OP will have meter which measures capacitance. OP, Remove the screw at front of pump with large flat screwdriver. Some water will run out so have a towel. With pump powered turn the shaft clockwise with screwdriver. If it spins up, replace capacitor.

Thanks. I have done that already. It spins very freely. The pump will run but is reluctant to start as soon as it is powered. It will eventually start and run. I believe the capacitor is a run capacitor. It is 2 microfarad, 400V.

It's not just gunged up with slime is it . Has the system had inhibitor in it and flushed regularly?
I had one once that had a film of slime on the faces, it was on an old indirect system though with no inhibitor.

Sorry I've just re read the OP and seen it is on a solar system.

Last edited:
Depending how important the job is,it's doing,i would be tempted to fit a new pump.

You can experiment with the old unit,once everybody is warm :)

Capacitance setting on multimeter will give you its rating but you need to check its charge/discharge..
Do you have an anologue multimeter?

Capacitance setting on multimeter will give you its rating but you need to check its charge/discharge..
Do you have an anologue multimeter?

Thanks Charlie. I have a Kewtech 116. I have seen advice on charging capacitors and how they should react but don’t have a flashy device to test for that.

Depending how important the job is,it's doing,i would be tempted to fit a new pump.

You can experiment with the old unit,once everybody is warm :)

PEG - this is on a solar thermal system so swapping the pump out is a bit more complex due to it being pressurised with glycol.

Based on the other connections I would expect the capacitor connection to be a push in connector, it is possible (if it is not just part of the moulding) that the tag just beside the cable entry may, if pushed either in or sideways, release the cable. Alternatively there may be a small hole on the other side of the block where a wire or terminal screwdriver may be inserted to release the cable, failing that a small screwdriver might release the cable if inserted beside the wire, but may wreck the terminal. Also possibly pulling and twisting may release it but this has the potential for causing problems if it is fine stranded wire and this is not a release method.

PEG - this is on a solar thermal system so swapping the pump out is a bit more complex due to it being pressurised with glycol.

Hi,i would hope the system is not pressurised,beyond the pumps specification,and there are gate valves each side of the pump...

What temperature does the glycol get to?

Hi,i would hope the system is not pressurised,beyond the pumps specification,and there are gate valves each side of the pump...

No, the system runs at about 1.5 to 2 bar. There are gate valves on the pump. Problem is if I remove it, it is likely to lose pressure and I have no way to re-pressurise it. As for temperature - that can vary enormously (depending on the sun!). These systems can reach very high temps, though the controller shuts down if necessary to protect the pump. There is an expansion tank to cater for such situations.

No, the system runs at about 1.5 to 2 bar. There are gate valves on the pump. Problem is if I remove it, it is likely to lose pressure and I have no way to re-pressurise it. As for temperature - that can vary enormously (depending on the sun!). These systems can reach very high temps, though the controller shuts down if necessary to protect the pump. There is an expansion tank to cater for such situations.

Hi,your picture showed signs of leakage,so i guess it has lost some already. There will be a means of filling the system....never seen one yet,that has not:)

What type of system is it,and what does it heat? I take it when you say "expansion tank" you mean chamber?

Hi,your picture showed signs of leakage,so i guess it has lost some already. There will be a means of filling the system....never seen one yet,that has not:)

What type of system is it,and what does it heat? I take it when you say "expansion tank" you mean chamber?[/QUOTE]

Hi PEG, yes there is sign of historical leakage but the area is dry and the system has held constant pressure for the five years I've been here.

There is a fill point but I don't have the kit to fill/pressurise it.

It heats the DHW, and yes I meant an expansion vessel.

Reply to Wilo Pump Capacitor Replacement in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock