Discuss Wire Irish Home for USA Outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We're moving to Ireland this fall from the US and wondering about wiring a few outlets in some rooms for US outlets. I have a KitchenAid mixer I'd love to keep using in the kitchen, also a PC and some things that need to be charged. Not thrilled with the idea of converters for things, so looking for a more permanent solution. Is this possible? We'll be in the Wicklow area if that matters. Thanks in advance!

We're moving to Ireland this fall from the US and wondering about wiring a few outlets in some rooms for US outlets. I have a KitchenAid mixer I'd love to keep using in the kitchen, also a PC and some things that need to be charged. Not thrilled with the idea of converters for things, so looking for a more permanent solution. Is this possible? We'll be in the Wicklow area if that matters. Thanks in advance!
I have a couple of items that happen to be USA voltage, and indeed rather than remove the USA plugs I have provided transformers with a USA outlet specifically for these.

These are just plugged in to a standard socket outlet.

Even if the voltage (and frequency) wasn't different it is not permitted (generally) under the regulations to fit non-standard equipment - specifically in the UK the appropriate specification for each piece of equipment is listed in the regulations, I believe the same is the case in Ireland.

The items you mention are pretty standard pieces of kit, so very much available, most pc for example have SMPS which can work 95v - 250v so it is only the cable that needs changing.

Also in Ireland you must be a registered electrician to do such work, it is illegal otherwise:

Your best bet is just to get a 230V to 120V transformer and some USA style multiple-outlet boards and plug that in to the house's fixed wiring outlets.

I have a couple of items that happen to be USA voltage, and indeed rather than remove the USA plugs I have provided transformers with a USA outlet specifically for these.

These are just plugged in to a standard socket outlet.

Even if the voltage (and frequency) wasn't different it is not permitted (generally) under the regulations to fit non-standard equipment - specifically in the UK the appropriate specification for each piece of equipment is listed in the regulations, I believe the same is the case in Ireland.

The items you mention are pretty standard pieces of kit, so very much available, most pc for example have SMPS which can work 95v - 250v so it is only the cable that needs changing.
Thanks!

Also in Ireland you must be a registered electrician to do such work, it is illegal otherwise:

Your best bet is just to get a 230V to 120V transformer and some USA style multiple-outlet boards and plug that in to the house's fixed wiring outlets.
Thank you. I'm definitely involving an electrician once there. I'm handy...but not electrical handy! What about the Hertz issue? Do transformers account for that?

I'm concerned about that. I heard you can easily burn items out.
It depends, a lot of equipment is fine on either (e.g. practically all electronics). Where you do see differences are in motors (where speeds run 20% slower in induction/synchronous motors) and to a lesser degree in transformers.

It would be unusual to "easily" burn stuff out, but pushing things to limits might have a problem.

Unless you have a fancy motor-driven tool then the cost of frequency conversion is going to be more than simply replacing it, so try it on correct voltage but 50Hz and see how it goes.

Do transformers account for that?

No. Frequency conversion is much harder than voltage conversion and is not normally done. As above, many items especially purely electronic ones are not sensitive to frequency. If you list the items we can advise whether they are likely to be affected.

Not thrilled with the idea of converters for things, so looking for a more permanent solution. Is this possible? We'll be in the Wicklow area if that matters. Thanks in advance!
A more permanent solution is certainly possible but you may find it more feasible to consider Julie's suggestion regarding transformers.Our American neighbour bought a small (but heavy duty) transformer to power his wife's sewing machine.
I would also recommend you consider logging on to forums for the thousands of Americans who relocate every year and face the same challenges.Or an American forces forum.
Secondly this is a standard question embassy staff face and they will usually have the most practical solutions for you.Email both American and Irish embassy,s.
If you go the transformer route you will require nothing more than a plugtop ,which you are entitled to install yourself.
If you prefer an electrician ,as already suggested in a previous post,log on to the "Safe Electric" website where they give a full list of registered contractors ,county by county.

A more permanent solution is certainly possible but you may find it more feasible to consider Julie's suggestion regarding transformers.Our American neighbour bought a small (but heavy duty) transformer to power his wife's sewing machine.
I would also recommend you consider logging on to forums for the thousands of Americans who relocate every year and face the same challenges.Or an American forces forum.
Secondly this is a standard question embassy staff face and they will usually have the most practical solutions for you.Email both American and Irish embassy,s.
If you go the transformer route you will require nothing more than a plugtop ,which you are entitled to install yourself.
If you prefer an electrician ,as already suggested in a previous post,log on to the "Safe Electric" website where they give a full list of registered contractors ,county by county.
Thank you!

Do transformers account for that?

No. Frequency conversion is much harder than voltage conversion and is not normally done. As above, many items especially purely electronic ones are not sensitive to frequency. If you list the items we can advise whether they are likely to be affected.
Thank you for offering. My biggest concerns are KitchenAid mixer with a motor, and desktop computer. Planning on buying new tvs, lights, speakers, etc. But those 2 are newer and work great.

My biggest concerns are KitchenAid mixer with a motor, and desktop computer.
The computer is almost guaranteed to be fine. Power supplies for them are normally expected to do both 120V 60Hz USA and 230V 50Hz EU as well as 100V 50Hz Japan as major markets. Older PSU might be fixed voltage (120V or 230V) maybe with a lockable switch to change, but all I have seen in the last decade auto-range. Just check the PSU specification, there ought to be a label on it saying its range or a part number you can look up.

The mixer is harder to know, probably OK if not pushed hard, but again a new one would be cheaper than an adequate frequency converter.

Reply to Wire Irish Home for USA Outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock