Discuss wire sizes - what is standard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

renault

DIY
Reaction score
hi all. I am new here and am doing some work on my house. I have a question regarding wire sizes; As far as I was aware the sizes are 1.5, 2.5 then 6.0 etc (I am assuming this is the area of copper) however I have just come across 4mm. dia. in my house. Is this an old standard no longer used ?

Standard, and current.

1mm^2, 1.5mm^2, 2.5mm^2, 4mm^2, 6mm^2, 10mm^2, 16mm^2....

There are rules though, you can't use 1mm^2 for anything other than lighting for example
yes, thanks for that - but I have never seen anywhere that 4mm² is used for anything

4mm is less common than 6mm as it is only rated for a typical 32A circuit in certain installation "methods" such as clipped directly to a wall where it can get rid of heat sufficiently easily. The other common 32A circuit in the UK is the Ring Final Circut used for 13A sockets, typically it is in 2.5mm as every socket in a RFC has two paths for the current to flow so typically the loads result in roughly half on each 'leg' back to the consumer unit (fuse box).

Of course, sometimes you also have to increase conductor size to keep voltage drop down on long runs (and related to that, keep fault impedance down so it clears quickly).

Tables 7.1 (i) through to (iii) in the IET's On-Site Guide(pages 65-75) are your go-to reference for wire choice. That covers the length limits and installation methods for the majority of common circuits (combinations of cable size and over-current protection device).

4mm single was used a lot as a bonding conductor between copper pipes in houses.
Less now with plastic pipes.

I haven't fitted any supp bonding since we have had to rcd the carp out of everything

I now only carry 1mm for lights , 2.5 for power and 6 for cookers

I do have some drums of 1.5 and 4mm in my garage but rarely use that size cable

I must have a bigger van.

I carry 2 x 1mm, 1.5 and 2.5… a 4,6 and 10mm T&E . 1mm and 1.5 3c&e

There’s normally a drum of coax rolling about, plus cat5, bell wire and telephone wire at home.

Then the 1.5 and 2.5 singles…. (All colours of 1.5). And 4 and 10mm single earth wire.

Edit:
Plus numerous coils and cuttings of small size flex in 3183, 3093 and rubber. 3,4 and 5 core in some sizes…. 4mm flex for ovens, half drums of SWA and some 25/16mm tails kits.

Last edited:
hi all. I am new here and am doing some work on my house. I have a question regarding wire sizes; As far as I was aware the sizes are 1.5, 2.5 then 6.0 etc (I am assuming this is the area of copper) however I have just come across 4mm. dia. in my house. Is this an old standard no longer used ?
diameter of cable/s is irrelevant. except when choosing thre rightsizeof clip/cleat to fix it. all that matters, elecrically, is the csa. area of conductorr in millipedes or fraction thereof.

I do have some drums of 1.5 and 4mm in my garage but rarely use that size cable
They are sort of "in-between" sizes. No need for 1.5mm for practically any lighting circuit as current small (and harder to wrangle it to light's terminals), but then not quite high enough for many fixed loads.

4mm is sort of the same in-between size. You often hear folk suggesting a radial in 4mm but in many install methods that is not 32A-safe.

Last edited:

Reply to wire sizes - what is standard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock