Discuss Wiring assistance for three-way dimmer installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a challenge installing a dimmer to a new wire setup that was required for new LED recessed lighting. The LED light (Illume 5-inch Round LED Recessed Lighting Kit ) is too bright and needs to be adjusted via a dimmer. A smaller LED would be better suited for the space but I didn't want to patch up the hole from the old junction box and figured the light could be adjusted with a dimmer.

The light is located in the upstairs hallway landing. A large hanging light was previously installed that was attached to an old junction box that served as the central hub for several upstairs connections. In order to install a new recessed LED light, the previous junction box was removed and a new junction box was installed in the attic. The hallway light is a three-way setup with a switch at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top.

Currently the light turns on when two simple on-off light switches are installed. My current lighting set up is as follows:

Power Source/Wire from fuse box connects in the attic to new junction box. White wire from power source is connected to the new LED light. The live wire (black) is connected to the black wire leading to the light switch down stairs. The black wire from the new LED light is connected to the black wire that connects to the upstairs light switch. The neutral wire (white) from the downstairs switch is connected to the neutral wire (white) from the upstairs switch. Finally, the secondary wire (red) from the downstairs light switch is connected to the secondary wire (red) from the upstairs switch.

This three-way setup works with my on-off switches, but I cannot seem to get it to work if I add a three-way dimmer (Leviton DSM10).

I've also attempted to use this wire setup without any success:

https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/images/wiring-3-way-dimmer-switch.gif

FYI, the previous setup did support a dimmer before disassembly. Also, I am using IDEAL connectors to connect additional wiring to this setup. The original setup included power running to the bathroom fan and the lights for a guest bedroom. I don't believe these connections to be an issue as I'm using four-way IDEAL wire connectors in the new fuse box from the source wire to feed each setup its own live/neutral connections. Currently both the bathroom ceiling fan and the guest bed room lights work fine and independently from the hallway light.

I've been replacing switches and light units for a little while now but this setup. I figure I'm close but just need a little assistance getting over the goal line.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TL;DR
Installing dimmer light switch to newly rewired junction box. Need advice on the proper wiring from source to switches to light in order for dimmer to operate.

Reply to Wiring assistance for three-way dimmer installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock