Discuss Wiring car stereo to power supply in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pj mori

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope I've found the right forum to post in... I am trying to put my old stereo in my new van. The one part I am a bit apprehensive about Is powering the thing up. I have two leads that I believe need power, one that says 12v ignition switched and one that says lighting or illumination. Red and yellow respectively in the picture. I had hoped that by plugging everything in, it would be powered from the same source as the tape player radio that was installed from factory. Could anyone please recommend the best way to tap into the power supply for these two cables, I have heard that I can do it via the cigarette lighter hence what I have done in the photo I've added.
[automerge]1588769937[/automerge]
Apparently I can't attach a photo of it.

forum has a glitch at the present.pics. won't upload.
you can connect both red and yellow to faglighter but you will lose the station programming every time yuo switch ignition off, unless the faglighter is permanently powered. then you run the risk of forgetting to turn the radio off.
the correct way is a permanent 12V supply on yellow, and a feed from the accessory terminal on the ignition switch on red.

You might have 3 +v lines.
Permanent, direct from battery to keep any tuner memory intact.
Ignition. This is the main one to power the radio, comes on with ignition
Lights. Built in lighting in the radio that comes on with car lights... same as dashboard lighting.

colours can be different depending on make of car.

a multimeter would be handy here... and don’t touch anything likely to go 12v to the metal of the car..

You might have 3 +v lines.
Permanent, direct from battery to keep any tuner memory intact.
Ignition. This is the main one to power the radio, comes on with ignition
Lights. Built in lighting in the radio that comes on with car lights... same as dashboard lighting.

colours can be different depending on make of car.

a multimeter would be handy here... and don’t touch anything likely to go 12v to the metal of the car..

Good point about the lights feed.
There may also be an electric aerial output feed.

Hello all, I hope I've found the right forum to post in... I am trying to put my old stereo in my new van. The one part I am a bit apprehensive about Is powering the thing up. I have two leads that I believe need power, one that says 12v ignition switched and one that says lighting or illumination. Red and yellow respectively in the picture. I had hoped that by plugging everything in, it would be powered from the same source as the tape player radio that was installed from factory. Could anyone please recommend the best way to tap into the power supply for these two cables, I have heard that I can do it via the cigarette lighter hence what I have done in the photo I've added.
[automerge]1588769937[/automerge]
Apparently I can't attach a photo of it.
Did you manage to solve this issue? I am currently experiencing the same problem!

Reply to Wiring car stereo to power supply in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock