Discuss Wiring new hob in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1hammer

I bought a new hotpoint electric hob which says it must be wired to a junction box with 6mm cable.

Why should it be wired into a junction box before connecting it to the 45A cooker circuit instead of running the cable direct from the hob to cooker switch?

Thanks

I bought a new hotpoint electric hob which says it must be wired to a junction box with 6mm cable.

Why should it be wired into a junction box before connecting it to the 45A cooker circuit instead of running the cable direct from the hob to cooker switch?

Thanks

I think they mean a cooker connection unit which is normally after the switch lower down the wall so cable can not be seen when connected.

Thanks Ian - so the cable can be run straight from the hob to the switched ccu (no additional junction box) ?

The oven has a low wattage so will be fitted with 13A plug and put straight into the wall socket

You will need to fit a cooker oulet below, your 6mm will be connected to this from your cooker switch. then a length of 6mm from the cooker to the outlet.

Hammer. The installation instruction should tell you that you have to use a special heat resistant cable for the final connection to the hob.
Fred

Not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick (probably!) but 6mm on a 45A circuit? Thats pushing it a bit isn't it? With regards to heat resistance I've never seen this in instructions ( but then rarely read them!) A cooker hob etc should be so insulated to keep heat where it's required, but I've been wrong before (many times)

Thanks

Hi mate , you can connect the hob straight into the 45 amp switch if you have no cooker outlet ( the out lets are normally below work surface height) , you may have one and not spotted it
>>>Marbo 45A DP Cooker Connection Unit - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

as far putting your hob on a plug top >> double check your instruction as elecy hobs normally pull a higher load than 13amps , and will need to be hard wired into the back of your 45amp switch .

HTH

Well that what it said in the Hotpoint Manual.Special cable conforming to type H05BB-F Tmax 90; or higher.Maximum load of 6.4 kW.Here is an interesting part,"The Hob may only be installed over drawers when a fire -proof shield has been fitted to the lower part of the unit"

Better still, install CCU c/w 13amp socket in adjacent cupboard. Wire hob directly from CCU and plug oven into socket.
No need for heat resisting cable. Use standard 6mm T&E as hob is usually around 6kW (24amps).

24amps for hob, 12 amps for oven - 40amp MCB

J/Spark. So in your opinion Hotpoint and all Hob manufactures do not know what they are talking about when they specify a special cable to be used.You are offering bad and dangerous advice.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Slightly unrelated but this has interested me for some time as I am seeing it more and more.
1 The "hob" is the bit on top and on checking Hotpoint's website could draw up to 7.2 kW.
2 The bit below the worktop is an oven and very often is supplied with a fitted 13amp plug.
3 A cooker is usually a stand alone appliance, hob & oven as one unit and if all electric is supplied by a single cable and on average could draw around 11kW.

This is the bit that tickles me. When hob and oven are installed as seperate units the hob quite rightly is connected to the cooker point while the oven is pluged into the nearest below worktop socket (think granite worktops). Come the day that the oven contacts weld together and the joint is in flames inside it, where do you turn the damn thing off! Comments from those in the testing and inspecting world would be most appreciated.

Ps I must add that the above is not a practice I follow myself but have had to deal with twice now.

Bits I'm not sure about; what size breaker on the 6mm between breaker and CCU? Can Isolater switches be hidden in cupboards? I don't use HR cable when connecting outlet to cooker as i tend to fit cookers into pretty flammable cupboards. maybe the hob manufacturers are covering their ar5es

Spark. Only forty years?So you are still a boy yet.You might have had no problems but you can not possible tell if some of your early work has not gone up in smoke by now.
We are talking about a modern ceramic hob here,times have changed since every kitchen in the land had a Belling.
I can not see the problem in using the correct cable.XLPE cable is not that expensive,easy to get and little bit easy to handle.That extra 20 degrees of protection could be vital in preventing a hydrogen chloride blacked-out kitchen.
As for Jeremy he admits he never reads installation instructions.so he does not have a clue as to what cable to us.Then comes up with same lame excuse about the hob not being installed in a combustible area.What rubbish!Perhaps he does not realize that the radiated heat from around the hob is the reason for fitting HR cable.
There are a few references on this forum about appearing before the beak for one reason or another.You should think about this the next time when you can't really be bothered to do the job properly.

Reply to Wiring new hob in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock