Discuss wiring upgrade - but how far ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

petedh

Hi, first post so be gentle .....
I have been asked to wire some additional sockets to a house wired I guess mid 70's, what I'm not sure about is how far should I suggest the owner upgrades the wiring, it has no gas or water bonding, so I'm going for that as a minimum, but what about equipotential bonding to bathroom, should that also be a minimum ? The owner is pretty strapped for cash so can't run to anything costly like a CU change, but interested in others views on what basics I should insist on to cover myself !

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved post;)

I would be looking as you say at the gas and water bonds, equipotential bonding in bathroom, CU change (possibly) and the current earthing system - i.e if TT does the cable need upgrading? I would also look to possibly change tails to 25mm - definately if I was changing the CU.

Cirrus,
Yes agree all you mention would be nice to haves, but with the customer having little spare cash, just wonder what the safe minimum should be ?

Thanks for the replies .... Am I right in thinking you are both saying just putting the main gas and water bonding in place is sufficient ? BTW Board is mid 70's Wylex on 16mm tails ...

Main equipotential bonds in & ensure that the service cutout fuse is rated below 100amp (60amp), other wise the 16mm tails & main earth conductor (probably 6mm) will not comply ;).
Supplimentary bonding isnt an issue as you are not altering circuits in the bathroom or changing cu.
Hope the ring cpc isnt 1mm, could cause problems :rolleyes:.

if they're not reasonably expected to be used to power equipment outdoors then no...up to the electrician really....until july 1st that is ;)

Main equipotential bonds in & ensure that the service cutout fuse is rated below 100amp (60amp), other wise the 16mm tails & main earth conductor (probably 6mm) will not comply ;).
Supplimentary bonding isnt an issue as you are not altering circuits in the bathroom or changing cu.
Hope the ring cpc isnt 1mm, could cause problems :rolleyes:.

as the CU is not being upgraded I would presume this is done to the 16th

So, the supplementary bonding, I think reg 130-07-01 might disagree with you that it isnt an issue:rolleyes:

as the CU is not being upgraded I would presume this is done to the 16th

So, the supplementary bonding, I think reg 130-07-01 might disagree with you that it isnt an issue:rolleyes:
? whats accesssibility of equipment got to do with it?
do the bonding ,test and cert your work ,recommend a pir

Hi Shakey,
So you think the lack of supplimentary bonding might be an issue, well thats just the reason I posted my question, just how far is the customer obliged to upgrade an existing installation ? And as another post pointed out should an RCD be fitted to sockets that could supply outdoor equipment, although thats a fairly recent requirement, if I'm not carefull, I could end up presenting the customer with an almost full rewire cost just for him to get three new sockets installed !! Wow ....

Be of a mind to check the lighting !970s installs may have no cpc in the lighting,so complications may arise if you decide to change the cons unit
To keep costs down There is nothing wrong with retaining the wylex fuse board installing the main bonding and maybe a stand alone 30m/amp rcd
The supplementary bonding may be ignored because no work is being carried out in the bathroom and the stand alone rcd will comply more with the 17th where yoiu need only confirm the continuity of the pipework

rcds for sockets likely to supply outdoor equipment is in the 16th and any socket in the 17th(with exceptions?)
or summit like that

Any socket downstairs especially near a door or window can reasonably used for outside,or am i stupid !!!

? whats accesssibility of equipment got to do with it?
do the bonding ,test and cert your work ,recommend a pir

Dunno Wayne, what has acessibilty of equipment got to do with it?

Its certainly got nothing to do with 130-07-01:p

Be of a mind to check the lighting !970s installs may have no cpc in the lighting,so complications may arise if you decide to change the cons unit
To keep costs down There is nothing wrong with retaining the wylex fuse board installing the main bonding and maybe a stand alone 30m/amp rcd
The supplementary bonding may be ignored because no work is being carried out in the bathroom and the stand alone rcd will comply more with the 17th where yoiu need only confirm the continuity of the pipework

Des, 130-07-01 (as you no doubt know) says "no alteration or addition shall be carried out....etc etc....unless the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate"

I must have missed the bit where it says "except supplementary bondng in the bathroom unless you are working in the bathroom ":p

Of course under the 17th, this reg has been amended (think its 130.8?) and they have added the massive get out clause of "where necessary for the protective measures applied for safety" (or words to that effect) ginst the earthing and bonding

So if working to the 17th, yes, you could ignore the supp bonds, as you can if all of the bathroom is on an RCD, meets disconnection times and extraneous paths are less than the magic 1667 ohms

Which is why i raised my point, under the 16th, 130-07-01 applies, and does not, as i read it differentite between main and supp bonds

and yes, this is an ge old argument:rolleyes::p

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to wiring upgrade - but how far ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock