Discuss Would like some help with questions about wiring for RV setup on property. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

boggerdak

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I bought some property in northern Michigan. It has underground electric with a transformer already on the property. I would like to put in 2 RV panels that are 50A each. The county will let me do all of the work myself with the exception of hooking up the meter to the transformer (obviously). The meter has to go by the road. I plan to bury the line in conduit. I have included a drawing for reference. So, the questions:

Does the main panel need to be by the meter or can I put it further into the property?
What would be the proper wire size to run the distances I have shown?
If the RV sub panels are 50A and include a 50A breaker, does the main panel need a 50A breaker, too, or some other size?
Does the layout on my drawing look proper or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

PINEDALE RV ELECTRIC PIC.jpeg

Hello everyone.

I bought some property in northern Michigan. It has underground electric with a transformer already on the property. I would like to put in 2 RV panels that are 50A each. The county will let me do all of the work myself with the exception of hooking up the meter to the transformer (obviously). The meter has to go by the road. I plan to bury the line in conduit. I have included a drawing for reference. So, the questions:

Does the main panel need to be by the meter or can I put it further into the property?
What would be the proper wire size to run the distances I have shown?
If the RV sub panels are 50A and include a 50A breaker, does the main panel need a 50A breaker, too, or some other size?
Does the layout on my drawing look proper or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

View attachment 109324
Yes your panel can be away from the meter but you will need a 50 amp double pole breaker to feed each RV. The size wiring that you will need is # 6

Reply to Would like some help with questions about wiring for RV setup on property. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net