Discuss YouTube electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I might go on YouTube and do an absolutely shoddy installation with loads of carp practices like tape joints and cables outside zones etc

just for the laughs I get from the comments
A slight twist on the well known rule - the quickest way to find out how to do something correctly is not to ask, but to put up a video doing it wrongly....

A slight twist on the well known rule - the quickest way to find out how to do something correctly is not to ask, but to put up a video doing it wrongly....

A bit like Kieran with his outdoor socket install?

Most of the issues raised about Youtube electricians are openly discussed and generally seem to improve awarness and (hopefully) standards. While many viewers will quickly point out these problems, there are probably countless electricians out there making exactly the same mistakes - those who don't care will continue not caring, but hopefully those that don't know will learn and adpat.

I see the whole Youtube issue as a double edged sword for this industry (and probably for many others). On one hand there will be those who decide to undertake tasks they really shouldn't be involved in, but on the other it has opened up debate on many issues that would otherwise go unnoticed and video comments demonstrate that a lot of electricians have learned about some of their own less than ideal practices.

I've commented previously about which of these youtubers (is that now accepted terminology?) I like and which I dont, but that's mostly based on presentation and content, rather than knowledge and ability. Poor Nick Bundy seems like a salt of the earth chap, who takes pride in his work and is stung when mistakes are highlighted, but my criticism is because recent videos seem to feature a lot of irrelevant chat, promotions and in jokes, with much less focus on the electrical work being undertaken.

Once that start banging on about promo codes and online deals for companies I skip to the next video

but I appreciate they have to make money from the vids and they get paid for doing advertising, so it feels a necessary evil

Maybe so, but I would suggest that anyone who puts their work on show deliberately for all to see, needs to be exceptionally careful to make sure they follow the rules and produce work to a high standard. Otherwise they get what they deserve in the way of criticism.
But as i said people criticise and downthumb even those who do an exceptional job. Go and look up a joiner called Paul Sellers who does some of the most fantastic work you will ever see - people literally criticise him and he often gets downthumbed over some of his work and the guy has forgotten more than anyone watching him even knows.

It comes with the territory - you literally can't please people who sit behind screens criticising.

I still don't know, except for that one SWA thing, where his work has actually been shoddy. As far as i see, he always uses wago boxes, always grommets stuff, always does neat CU's etc, seems to be clued up on testing and inspection. I think the problem is people being massively over critical, like most tradesmen are.

Unless there is actual proof of him and others doing really shoddy work? I've never seen a video where there has except for maybe style issues, ie, Bundy putting rigid conduit right down the middle of a wall when i'd have put it down the corner and out of sight. I've certainly never seen any of them do anything outright dangerous unless you can point me there.

Unless there is actual proof of him and others doing really shoddy work? I've never seen a video where there has except for maybe style issues, ie, Bundy putting rigid conduit right down the middle of a wall when i'd have put it down the corner and out of sight. I've certainly never seen any of them do anything outright dangerous unless you can point me there.

The worst electrical work I've seen has been in real life.

Nick Bundy recently did a decent ‘how to’ on plumbing in a new shower and even Chris the plumber did a vid on putting in Quinetic switches which was actually quite informative...for a plumber

Once that start banging on about promo codes and online deals for companies I skip to the next video

but I appreciate they have to make money from the vids and they get paid for doing advertising, so it feels a necessary evil
Ye, a lot of good websites, forums nd youtubers been spoiled, overrun with advertisements

2 I've started following recently; Adrian Davey (similar background to GSH I believe - education) - good few videos on AM2, Safe Isolation etc and Mark Allison (EGTE Podcast and creator of A1-2-1 (Apprentice 1-2-1 - Simple concept; find apprentices needing apprenticeships, find businesses needing apprentices, marry the two together.) - Mark has a fair bit of content focused on Apprenticeships, Apprentices and the likes.

I might go on YouTube and do an absolutely shoddy installation with loads of carp practices like tape joints and cables outside zones etc

just for the laughs I get from the comments
yeah. why change your usual working practices just for youtube? ???

I'm dissapointed that there was no mention of joint paste (or as we call it, baby sh*t) or ductoring the connections. All joints should be 10 micro ohm or less. Good facial furniture though.

Reply to YouTube electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net