Discuss Zone heating advice and wiring. (Honeywell or other?) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm buying a property currently that I intend to fully rewire and at least partially upgrade the central heating. I've been thinking for a while I'd like to go the whole hog and install fully independent zone heating for each room. I don't want any batteries anywhere in thermostats or trvs and the like. I'm not going to install underfloor heating but I imagine it will operate along similar lines. Can anyone help me with a scheme for this?

My idea so far is to go with with >>

Mains powered Honeywell TR6 thermostats for each zone (room). and HUB

Combi Boiler

Convecting radiators.

What I'm not sure of is how the thermostat will control the flow of HW to each zone. What kind of valve should it actuate and does it need a relay to achieve this? Should I use TRVs or just control valves for the radiators?

Also is there a better system for a rewired house than honeywell?

Thanks in advance.

S

If you're dead set on doing this, then I might be inclined to use a similar arrangement to underfloor heating, with the supply and return manifold arrangement and control system.

Of course, it goes without saying... a rewire is notifiable. Looks like you might be qualified (based on some of your postings), but if you're not part of a scheme you'll either need to go through building control (possibly as part of a larger planning application) or use the third party certification route which is available to you in England.

Of course... it goes without saying... I'm not a plumber, so maybe sign up on the plumbers forum and seek advice about the wet stuff side of things there.

If you're dead set on doing this, then I might be inclined to use a similar arrangement to underfloor heating, with the supply and return manifold arrangement and control system.

Of course, it goes without saying... a rewire is notifiable. Looks like you might be qualified (based on some of your postings), but if you're not part of a scheme you'll either need to go through building control (possibly as part of a larger planning application) or use the third party certification route which is available to you in England.

Hi.

Thanks yes I am.

I'm certainly going to run all the wires. I may not want to fork out for a tr6 stat for every room just yet but I want to install the valves and pipework before hand though. So you think an underfloor heating manifold is the way to go? Does this have individual acctuators per circuit?

Does a UFH manifold have individual actuators per outlet... yes, absolutely. Beyond that, I would draw your attention to my second post :)

There's a lot to consider... if you're doing this on a per room basis... the number of pipes is a big one, so I would definitely head on over to the plumbers forums and get some advice from people who do this sort of thing on a regular basis. I occassionally tinker with central heating control systems, simple jobs like adding an outlet for my dishwasher and the inevitable emergency repairs that come with this job... beyond that I would seek qualified advice, especially for something that could become quite complex quite quickly.

Or... if you want to have even more fun... what about a KNX based system ? You could have individual room stats with full system control from anywhere in the world... link this to some sort of geofencing and your heating could be automatically turned off (or down) if you go out. Add PIR sensors and if the room is empty, the heating can also be adjusted.

Reply to Zone heating advice and wiring. (Honeywell or other?) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net