Discuss 1 & 3 Phase workshop distribution in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nishka

Hi Guys

Please bear with me. This is my first post here and I am not an electrician! (Thought I would get that out of the way first of all)

I have recently aquired the use of a workshop on a farm, this is classed as an industrial unit. However I am not using it commecially, it is being used to store and restore classic/older cars.

The farmer has had a 3 phase supply installed into the workshop, but there is only 1x32A 3ph socket and 1x16A 1ph socket, both mounted on the same board as the DB. Also there is a 1ph lighting circuit and a number of 13A 240v sockets.

My query is this: I need to have 3 phase available in other areas of the workshop, and at least 2x32A 1ph sockets.

what is the best way of doing this? Is it possible for me to route the cabling and mount the sockets and have a 'competent' electrician connect everything up?

The workshop is 60' x 30' (20m x 10m), and I will be running the following equipment:

3ph: compressor, lathe, milling machine, heater etc

1ph: Welder (25A), hand tools, task lighting, computer etc.

Hope you can help

Nishka

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to first make sure the supply from the farmer is capable of supplying what you want.

Farmers tend to be a bit DIY with electrics, get it checked first, and check for nails in fuse carriers.

You need to first make sure the supply from the farmer is capable of supplying what you want.

Farmers tend to be a bit DIY with electrics, get it checked first, and check for nails in fuse carriers.

Agree with Spud, better you get an electrician in first to check out the site before you go ahead and do any work on the building. If it's dodgy before and goes up in flames after then who's the farmer going to blame?

Last edited:
Can't add much to that advice. Farmers are on tight budgets, they have an ethos of "bodge it" to save a few quid so the default position must be to suspect the integrity of the supply. Before you start pulling any appreciable loads get it tested and get some real world readings about the effeciveness (or even presence) of the means of earthing (local properly installed electrode or length of 're-bar' driven into the ground?), size of supply conductor, circuit length from origin, method of installation (is it SWA laid across a track through a few lengths of scaff bar for 'protection') any RCD protection?

Cheers for the replies guys.

I fully understand where you are coming from with regard to farm property, however the supply was installed by a qualified electrician to a new 125A DB, which looks to be protected by rcds.

I have got some pics if the install which I will post later for you to have a laugh at!

My main concern, obviously after safety, is how to add sockets to the system, while still staying within the law and safe.

I am more than willing to carry our 1st fix stuff and then have a 'competent' person terminate and test.

Do 3ph or 1ph runs have to be in conduit? metal or plastic? or is swa ok?

There will only ever be one or two people working in there so not all sockets will be loaded at all times, and I understand that the limitation will be the incoming supply.

Cheers again

Nishka

Piccys to follow!

Cheers for the replies guys.

I fully understand where you are coming from with regard to farm property, however the supply was installed by a qualified electrician to a new 125A DB, which looks to be protected by rcds.

I have got some pics if the install which I will post later for you to have a laugh at!

My main concern, obviously after safety, is how to add sockets to the system, while still staying within the law and safe.

I am more than willing to carry our 1st fix stuff and then have a 'competent' person terminate and test.

Do 3ph or 1ph runs have to be in conduit? metal or plastic? or is swa ok?

There will only ever be one or two people working in there so not all sockets will be loaded at all times, and I understand that the limitation will be the incoming supply.

Cheers again

Nishka

Piccys to follow!

S.W.A. will be fine using correct supports, but get a spark to tell you what size and core numbers you need for what, particularly if you are using 3ph & neutral, it would be best to install 5 core and not relay on armoring for earth.
Leave plenty of length for termination, especially at mains end and fit proper isolators.

Good luck

Hi Guys

As promised here are a couple of pics.

I have seen worse on farms, but what size is the supply to that meter ?

Looks a lot small to me, and I doubt if it will run a couple of welders.

What about the earth, is it me, or is it just the armouring with some tape on ?

The Distribution board is ok (ish), but there should be RCD protection if you are fitting sockets !

This lot needs a serious coat of looking at by someone who knows what they are doing !!

I have seen worse on farms, but what size is the supply to that meter ?

Looks a lot small to me, and I doubt if it will run a couple of welders.

What about the earth, is it me, or is it just the armouring with some tape on ?

The Distribution board is ok (ish), but there should be RCD protection if you are fitting sockets !

This lot needs a serious coat of looking at by someone who knows what they are doing !!

Me too :eek:

Reply to 1 & 3 Phase workshop distribution in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock