Discuss 10ml or 6ml main bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FWIW. On surveying a potential job I ALWAYS check to see if there is the correct bonding (10mm) in place before giving an estimate and then advise on an upgrade if required. In most cases it is no big job to upgrade anyway. I just feel that it is good practice to make sure that the whole installation meets current regs when I have finished my work.

Last edited:
I spoke to the niceic on this very subject as i had the same issue with one of the jobs i was using for my assesment.
Basically, if tns or tt you can use the adibiatic equation to prove what size conductor you can use for your bonding ( i squared t over k, square rooted). If tncs (pme) then you refer to table 54g. (could be table 54h, i forget!) which states in a round about way you must have 16mm and 10mm bonding.
The nic position on this is thus: you MUST make sure the bonding is up to CURRENT regs BEFORE you commence work.
Therefore an installation cert cannot contain any 'codes' as you should have done this work as part of your job.
Hence me quickly selecting a new job for my assesment!!

Hope this helps.

That's how i've experienced this subject too Laney.
It's all about the combined neutral/earth at the supply with a TNC-S. The supply authority worry that they may lose the earth somewhere down the line and that should there be any stray currents the path of least resistance could be the Final Circuit CPC's. By have 'oversized' Main Protective conductors the stray currents should exit down those instead of the casing of your kettle.

FWIW. On surveying a potential job I ALWAYS check to see if there is the correct bonding (10mm) in place before giving an estimate and then advise on an upgrade if required.

What do you do if you advise them of the upgrade to gas and water supplys and they dont want to pay for you to do it.

Do you leave the 6mm bonding in place and continue with your work, just adding a note on the cert you recommend a 10mm upgrade?

Or tell them before you start that the bonding HAS to be upgraded before you will carry out ANY alterations or additions?

What do you do if you advise them of the upgrade to gas and water supplys and they dont want to pay for you to do it.

Do you leave the 6mm bonding in place and continue with your work, just adding a note on the cert you recommend a 10mm upgrade?

Or tell them before you start that the bonding HAS to be upgraded before you will carry out ANY alterations or additions?

TBH I have never had a customer who won't pay to have the main bonding done. And if I ever do get someone who doesn't want to pay to have work done properly then I don't lose sleep over it. I give them a quote to do the work properly, they take it or leave it. Anyone who wants to skimp on electrical work in their house probably isn't worth working for anyway. At the end of the day it's my name on the certs and my neck on the line, so I won't drop my stantards or do a half####d job just to earn a few extra quid.

I spoke to the niceic on this very subject as i had the same issue with one of the jobs i was using for my assesment.
Basically, if tns or tt you can use the adibiatic equation to prove what size conductor you can use for your bonding

The adiabitic equation is Not used to calculate the size of Main Bonding conductor 543.1.1

as an afternote, Napit allow min 6mm on tns if permission not given to upgrade and note on eic, pme rules apply

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 10ml or 6ml main bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock