Discuss 110V vs 230V in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GPack

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Had a question today. Why do the yanks use 110V and the UK use 230V? What are the costs and benifits? Which one is better? Any help with this one is appreciated.

Hi,
Had a question today. Why do the yanks use 110V and the UK use 230V? What are the costs and benifits? Which one is better? Any help with this one is appreciated.

I thought the yanks used both voltages in a normal home. E.G 110 for lighting/power and 230 for fixed appliances. Or something... not really sure:D

AFAIK they have 2 phases - one (black) at 110v and the other (red) 280° out, making about 230v between phases, which have a different type of plug and socket.
IMO this is just confusing - I don't see why they can't just use 230v for everything.

AFAIK they have 2 phases - one (black) at 110v and the other (red) 280° out, making about 230v between phases, which have a different type of plug and socket.
IMO this is just confusing - I don't see why they can't just use 230v for everything.

Because they are Yanks and like to do things totally different to everyone else;)

I think the reason they use 120v for lighting etc @ 60hz was because Thomas Eddison originally got his light bulbs working at 120v DC so it became the normal supply. When the US changed to AC they kept the voltage the same to avoid disruption to the millions of lights already working. Consequently they became so popular and widespread that most other companies invented electrical goods to work at this same voltage. Because so many products now work at that voltage it was almost impossible to change it.

The way they got around this for appliances requiring larger voltages (water heaters etc) was to introduce a second 120v phase conductor giving 2 phase and 1 neutral. Either phase to neutral gives 120v but phase to phase gives 240v.

Well thats the best so far. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I've got to google their consumer units now to take a look. So they must have 2 line conductors 1 neutral and 1 earth conductor supple to each domestic consumer unit. That must get expensive? Does that mean ours is better?

they use split-phase -2 hot legs and a neutral

similar to centre tapped secondary used for reduced low-voltage on sites(55-0-55)

SP mcb for 1 hot leg 120v ,DP mcb for 240v equipment

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just taken a look at split phase systems and it mentions that to achieve the 240 V, 1 phase is 180 degrees different to the other phase. Is there something in the circuit breaker that creates this 180 degree phase change for the second leg?

no- it's just a centre tapped secondary winding for the neutral or earth depending on the system( 120-0-120 or 55-0-55)

center tap gives 120v ,full winding gives 240v

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wondered about that, and also why there is a completely different standard in Asia, or in central Europe (where they have 220 V and different sockets). I don’t know if there is a clear advantage – I don’t think this post answers the question. Probably there isn’t any. It would be nice that everyone has the same but it is impossible to do it. I’ve had problems when travelling to Czech Republic and I forgot to buy an adapter – had to go around in Prague asking for socket adapters.

110V & 220V are pre world war II voltages, 120/240V is the standard today, when some refers to something "110" or 220" as they are in almost every case a DIYer.

What can get confusing is the rated voltages for motors and welding equipment of 115,200,230,265,& 460V, and the supply voltages of 120,208,240, 277, and 480V, Lighting, electric heating equipment & such are are rated the same as the supply voltage.

Reply to 110V vs 230V in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock