Discuss 12v AC door release conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to put an exterior grade switch with a timer, to switch a 12v AC solenoid which is fail-secure- so it needs a momentary voltage to open the gate.

All the electronic switches I am finding are 12v DC- but I need AC. I can't just use an ordinary push to make as I need a timer, so the switch can be located back down the alley from the gate out of reach of anyone trying to reach through the bars of the gate.

I guess that as it's only 12v, IP is not super important? Although it would be nice.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that might fit the bill?

Thanks

I need to put an exterior grade switch with a timer, to switch a 12v AC solenoid which is fail-secure- so it needs a momentary voltage to open the gate.

All the electronic switches I am finding are 12v DC- but I need AC. I can't just use an ordinary push to make as I need a timer, so the switch can be located back down the alley from the gate out of reach of anyone trying to reach through the bars of the gate.

I guess that as it's only 12v, IP is not super important? Although it would be nice.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that might fit the bill?

Thanks

Door frame Stainless Steel Momentary Door Release button : Call Point & Push Buttons - Security Safety Products - https://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/call-point-push-buttons/door-frame-stainless-steel-momentary-door-release-button.php

Can you not wire an off delay timer?

Might have just as much trouble finding a 12v Ac off delay

Reckon the solution will have to be a push to make switch operating a low voltage relay followed by a timer circuit, but I'm guessing I'll need an additional 12v DC feed for the input of the relay.

Don't see why you'll need the relay, just 12v supply feeding push to make switch operating the off delay timer, then using the timer contacts to operate the door Solenoid with the 12vac. Will the door solenoid not operate in 12Vdc aswell?

Last edited:
IP is equally of importance as you'll find contact and terminal corrosion a big problem especially as the voltage is SELF, there are many ways to achieve what you want but you need to list your requirements. as above links, you can get ready made kits but if you are intent on making this yourself then AC/DC mix is not a big issue tbh there are simple designs to accomondate both voltages off 1 supply.

If you can list all the equirements then I could give a few pointers.

I would use the Videx unit and IP call push button unit that Leesparkykent & retrosparks have recomended.

Reply to 12v AC door release conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock