Discuss 12V DC Relay Issues (Diesel Engine) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all. I am having an issue with a 12V DC Relay I am trying to install to run a kill switch on a John Deere Diesel engine that runs a high pressure water pump. I have the relay wired in such that it will send power to the ignition when an electrical signal comes from a water sensor in the pump (dry running protection). The issue I have is that whenever it is hooked up all I get is chatter from the relay. I have tested my wiring by connecting the "switch" wire to battery and everything works as it should. I read somewhere that if the switch voltage is less than the feed that it can cause chatter. The fees voltage is 12.56 and the switch voltage is 12.22. Could this be the reason and how should I go about fixing it? Thanks

Attachments

• 12V DC Relay Issues (Diesel Engine) 15615585866361309218059 - EletriciansForums.net
    15615585866361309218059.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 23
12.22V should be enough to energise the relay. is it dropping under load?

So the signal from the water sensor is ok then and this is not causing the relay to chatter?

The sensor is sending a constant 12.22 volts. And the chatter happens whenever the sensor wire is sending power, engine running or not. When it's chattering there is no power to the box with the ignition so it can't be running anyway.

I presume you don't have a variable power supply. To feed 12.22v from this to the relay and still see if you get chatter...

A 12V relay will usually pull in around 8-9V on the coil, and will hold in down to about 6V. Anywhere between 9 and 18V should be OK, it is not critical. There is no relationship between the coil voltage and the contact switching voltage. Probably, the sensor output is not giving a steady voltage, or there is a bad connection somewhere, or the relay is not actually a 12V relay.

A 12V relay will usually pull in around 8-9V on the coil, and will hold in down to about 6V. Anywhere between 9 and 18V should be OK, it is not critical. There is no relationship between the coil voltage and the contact switching voltage. Probably, the sensor output is not giving a steady voltage, or there is a bad connection somewhere, or the relay is not actually a 12V relay.
Okay thanks. I will check with the sensor manufacturers and see if it is constant or not to double check. If it isn't, is there anything that can be done or a different style relay to use?

What type of output does it have - contact closure, open collector? Is it designed to operate a relay or just trigger an electronic input of a system controller?

It is grounded to a point on the frame of the unit. When it senses the water it closes a circuit with the power feed to send power down the switch wire. I think it is designed to be used in a system controller but the dealer said people have used it to operate a relay.

The battery and alternator grounds are the typical battery connection sizes, 4awg or 6awg, the relay and sensor grounds are 12awg, and 20awg respectively as those are the wire sizes of the connectors

Reply to 12V DC Relay Issues (Diesel Engine) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock