Discuss 16mm meter tails, long run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working on a property & they need the consumer unit changed.
The slight problem i have is the tails are on 16mm. But the meter is approx 10-12m (tail length) from consumer unit location. Is this length permissible.
There is a KMF at the meter but the customer does not want the tails changed to 25mm as they run under floor.
They now want to get a fully electric Range cooker.

As long as your maximum demand for the installation is unlikely to be greater than the ccc of the existing tails and the fuse in the switch fuse, then I see no problem provided the tails also satisfy the requirements for fault/overload protection

Irrespective of the dno fuse, if there is switch fuse 16mm tails will be sufficient

Ignore the pretty pictures in the OSG as they are misleading

What do you calculate the maximum load to be?

Hello all,

I am working on a property & they need the consumer unit changed.
The slight problem i have is the tails are on 16mm. But the meter is approx 10-12m (tail length) from consumer unit location. Is this length permissible.
There is a KMF at the meter but the customer does not want the tails changed to 25mm as they run under floor.
They now want to get a fully electric Range cooker.
Meter tails should be 2/3 metres max

Why? So long as an isolator is fitted and the calcs are good....

Incorrect, an isolator makes no difference, meter tails should be no more than 3 metres (subject to DNO requirements) before connecting to the consumers first CU, DB or switch-fuse/fused switch.

In the OP's case the meter tails connect to a switch-fuse then insulated and sheathed singles run from there to the CU.

Meter tails are the cable(s) which connect the meter to the consumers installation, not any specific cable type although insulated and sheathed singles are often referred to as tails.

Incorrect, an isolator makes no difference, meter tails should be no more than 3 metres (subject to DNO requirements) before connecting to the consumers first CU, DB or switch-fuse/fused switch.

In the OP's case the meter tails connect to a switch-fuse then insulated and sheathed singles run from there to the CU.

Meter tails are the cable(s) which connect the meter to the consumers installation, not any specific cable type although insulated and sheathed singles are often referred to as tails.
Poor terminology on my part....switched fuse isolator I should’ve put

The maximum length of meter tails that can be fitted should meet the requirements of Regulations 433.2 and 434.2

The initial question is regards meter tails and excessive length

A later post then says there is a Kmf which feeds the dist board at the meter position:)
There seems to be a bit of a mixing of your lager and Beer bottles somewhere along the lines :cool:

Reply to 16mm meter tails, long run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock